Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

wrkngclasshero

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 3, 2008
Columbia, MD
Hello everybody,

When watching television in Apple TV all in TVOS, is it possible to tell the Apple TV to play random episodes of televisions shows purchased through iTunes and played through the “Libaray” section in the Apple TV app? Shows like Friends and Seinfeld do not need to be watched sequentially and I like being able to watch a random episode.

Also can playlists (of TV shows or movies) be created through the TVOS AppleTV App users without storing the content locally and using home sharing?

I am trying to get away from Plex and Infuse options and just purchase everthing from iTunes, but the inability to easily play random episodes of a television program purchased through iTunes is a real showstopper for my wife.

ShizumiAoki

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2019
Australia
You can play random / shuffle playlists on the Apple TV (device/none app version) via a playlist but it seems you are un able to "Shuffle" a playlist to play a random episode from a show on the macOS app version of the TV app.

The way I've been doing it with the Apple TV (Device) is having the media stored on a Mac, set up playlists and everything on that end, then on the Apple TV go to > Home-sharing > TV > Playlist > Shuffle then this will shuffle the items in that playlist.

I have not tried doing all the set up on the Apple TV's end (since I have a mix of items from the store / personal movie files so not sure if it will work via Apple TV only tho.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.