Shuffle vs Nano for school?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by THX1139, Sep 14, 2010.

1. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

Hi everyone,

I admit, I've never owned an Apple iDevice. All of my Apple purchases have been computers and the like - so I don't have much experience with iPods etc. and could use some advice on a pending purchase.

I'm taking French classes and need to listen to MP3 audio voice files (over and over again). I decided that I should get an iPod or something so that I can take the audio on the road and be able to listen to my practice files instead of sitting in front of my computer.

I've been looking at the shuffle and trying to decide if that would meet my needs - or whether I should drop the extra cash on a nano. All I really need the device for is to have access to the voice audio mp3's and be able to play music now and then. I'm thinking a nano would be overkill - but I'm worried that the shuffle would not give me the control to continually repeat certain voice files without having to hunt them down. I suppose I could create play lists for each file, but wouldn't the shuffle just "shuffle" to whatever file it wants to play? What would be cool is to have a menu or ability to pick a file, hit play and then pause and rewind, or replay the same file. Can I do that with one of the newer shuffles, or should I go with a nano? If nano, then why... what is the difference besides more things it can do that I don't need?

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to make sure you understood my needs.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can throw my way. :D

2. 01jamcon macrumors 6502a

01jamcon

My absolute honest advice is to buy neither the Shuffle or the new Nano.

The Shuffle will be awkward to use and not ideal for listening to voice files, especially if you want to go back and repeat a certain section, or find a different file. You can create playlists and it can play it in order, not just in shuffle mode, but it will still be annoyingly difficult on a Shuffle.

The new Nano is too expensive for what it does and due to its small size it might also be difficult to use.

I would either get an older generation Nano (refurb store) which is cheaper, easier to use for your scenario and has more features over both the newer Shuffle and Nano. Either that or get some alternative player from Sony or Creative or something, cause you'll probably want a screen for what you're doing.

3. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Go with the nano, its excellent. I have one and opts my favorite iPod. Its small and easy to take everywhere.

4. THX1139 thread starter macrumors 68000

THX1139

Can't the same thing be said for the Shuffle?

5. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

Nano. Whether its the current gen or the previous gen, get the nano. Believe me, having a screen makes a HUGE difference. I don't get why people get the shuffle unless you have like 30 songs, but that's just me. Unless you run a marathon or something, (or you are a 6 yr old and need a cheap mp3 player) get the nano.

If you have a mac, d/l limewire and go to town LOL

6. THX1139 thread starter macrumors 68000

THX1139

Good advice. I'll look at other mp3 players on the market. Thought about using my sony digital recorder but it's a hassle converting the files.

I just came from Apple website and found out you can set the shuffle to play linear by flipping a switch. If I setup playlists for my French lessons, I might be able to make it work. Each lesson runs 3-5 minutes.

I considered a nano, but I can't see the advantage and it cost $100 more than the shuffle. I wonder if I can find a decent deal on a used pervious generation iPod? I'm going to check that next.

7. tpg macrumors regular

A nano, but go for a previous gen. Either 4th or 5th - they are far superior to the new model in my opinion!

8. THX1139 thread starter macrumors 68000

THX1139

The primary reason is for MP3 lecture files. I rarely listen to music on the go. A nano might be overkill if all I needed was to listen to half a dozen 10 minute french vocabulary lessons over and over... and over again. ;)

9. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Just FYI, because it seems you may not be aware of this but you can turn the random "song" shuffle off on Shuffles (and all iPods). I use a shuffle all the time and I load things onto it in an order that I will be familiar with. So it may be workable with a shuffle if you really want one.

If you're not keen on the shuffle I would probably look for an older generation nano. The new ones are cute but I think they're almost TOO small and fiddly.

10. tpg macrumors regular

I've still got my iPod colour (from 6 years ago perhaps? maybe more?!) and it still works perfectly. The screen and extra capacity would give you flexibility you might find you want at some point in the future. Also a screen would make it a lot easier to organise your lectures when you start getting quite a few!

Edit: Sorry, just realised this sounds as though I'm recommending buying a seriously old device. I'd still suggest prev-gen nano - the first sentence is just trying to make the point that these things last!

11. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

If you can play your lessons sequentially, and are able to navigate between lessons easily by listening, then the Shuffle may work for you.

If it were me, and I had to decide between the Shuffle and Nano, I would opt for the Nano due to the interface and storage capacity.

As some have mentioned above, there are other options. Even a 1st Gen iPod touch might be worth looking at. FWIW, my wife uses mine and loves it. I've offered to buy her something newer, but she is content with the my old iPod touch.

12. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

I wouldn't advise taking expensive gadgetry to schools. It will only get stolen. I'd just get a cheap generic mp3 player off eBay.

13. THX1139 thread starter macrumors 68000

THX1139

I'm an older student in college and have never had problems with theft, but I understand your concern. I'd actually be using the device as I go about my day so that I can listen to the vocabulary without having to sit in front of my computer. That's why I wanted something cheap and portable.

Even though it's out of my price range, I'm looking at 5th generation nano's on ebay. They average $100-125 for an 8GB in good condition. I found some for less, but I was outbid every time I placed an offer. I wish Apple offered 5th generation refurbs, but they only have last generation for $99.

14. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

My choice would be a 5th (ie previous) gen nano from the Apple refurb store website. $99 isn't bad for 8gb with a built-in speaker (perfect for listening to voice files in a quiet room without headphones).

Btw, I tried a new multitouch nano in an apple store, but I prefer the older click wheel. Granted, the new touchscreen is cool, but a bit fiddly in a device of that size.

15. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I would actually steer away from this advice if you are on a Mac (no offense to the person who posted it) a lot of mp3 players have proprietary software you have to install and none are as elegant as iTunes. I would definitely not recommend sony mp3 players ever since you are usually limited to transferring a song on and off your computer no more then three times into their proprietary atrac format until it locks your song up completely. I used to have one and threw it out due to this reason. Things may have changed since I owned one but thats the way they used to be.

16. striatedglutes macrumors 6502

Not sure how you even considered the new nano if $99 is out of your price range? Pull the trigger! You get a camcorder to boot! :D