Shuffle went in pool, Any chance it can be revived.

Discussion in 'iPod' started by lordmac, Aug 9, 2005.

  1. lordmac macrumors regular

    Feb 15, 2004
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Alright, so my little cousin who is about 12 just got an 512MB iPod shuffle, he has been really excited about it and taking it with him just about everywhere. Unfortunately one of the places he accidentally took it with him today was the pool. So I told him there is a slight chance it may come back if he lets it sit for a day or 2 and completely dry out. Now do you guys think there is any chance that this thing will come back and if there is anything I should try other then letting it dry out. :(

    Thanks in advanced. :)
  2. stridey macrumors 65816


    Jan 21, 2005
    Massachusetts, Connecticut
    Drying shuffles has brought them back to life in the past, so there's a chance it'll work. Can't think of any other suggestions, though.
  3. Le Big Mac macrumors 68030

    Le Big Mac

    Jan 7, 2003
    Washington, DC
    1) Make sure it's off
    2) If the pool had lots of chlorine, you might go rinse it in distilled water, so that there's no chemical buildup. Of course, don't bother if it's already mostly dry or it didn't get very wet.
    3) let it dry thoroughly, and then try it in a couple of days.

    I have had electronics come back before, a walkman a discman and a cellphone, after thorough soakings, so it may work. you might have to reformat or something. Since there aren't many moving parts, it probably has a better chance at life.
  4. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601


    Feb 10, 2004
    You should pull the innards out so it doesn't trap any moisture inside. I'd link directions at disassembling it, but I feel lazy, so you will have to search yourself.

    Most importantly, don't turn it on while drying. The rinse in distilled water isn't a bad idea if the thing got really wet with highly chlorinated water, but I'd agree with Le Big Mac that if it is already mostly dry or not completely soaked to begin with you shouldn't try it.

    Good luck!
  5. Jesus macrumors 6502

    recently i read an article saying that the iPod Shuffle was the electonic device most likly to recover from a deep soak, due to its lack of moving parts and its solid state storage. it should work A-OK after a sunbath to dry out.

  6. dejo Moderator


    Staff Member

    Sep 2, 2004
    The Centennial State
    Just don't forget the SPF 30. ;)
  7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

    Jan 6, 2004
    i had a regular flash stick go through the was, and dryer.... works fine still, so the shuffle can certainly recover, but there always is that chance of it not as well
  8. t300 macrumors 6502a


    Apr 10, 2004
    Yeah, my first suggestion would have been to take it apart and let it dry. Maybe use a hairdryer on the low, cool setting. Good luck and get a sport case!
  9. tangerineyum macrumors 6502

    Feb 16, 2005
    Ontario, CA
    had a d link blue tooth adapter go through the washing machine. 2 days with a blow dryer and things are back to normal. Take the shuffle apart and dry to your hearts content.
  10. iDM macrumors 6502a


    Jul 6, 2005
    The Commonwealth of PA/The First State-DE
    If you were going to post the link of the Shuffle being taken apart, that was on here from before they actually had to break the stereo jack or pop off the controls, maybe I'm wrong in which case disregard!
  11. Xeem macrumors 6502a


    Feb 2, 2005
    My sister's shuffle went through the wash and seemed dead. Two days (in an unsealed ziploc bag with some dry rice) later, it was once again operating perfectly and has been for months now.
  12. lordmac thread starter macrumors regular

    Feb 15, 2004
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Wow, you all have given me much more confidence that it may come back. Although sense the owner of this iPod Shuffle is 12 the first thing he did before he came and ask me (I am pretty much my entire family's tech support so they all come to me with these sorts of problems) was to turn it on to see if it still worked. I of coursed turned it off as soon as i got my hands on it, so i hope it still has a chance to come back. I don't think I'll take it apart as im not at home and don't have the proper tools. So it sounds like I should tell him to let it dry for a good long while, and that idea of putting it in a bag of dry rice is smart ill tell him that too thank Xeem. :)
  13. .Andy macrumors 68030


    Jul 18, 2004
    The Mergui Archipelago
    The rice as a dessicant is a fantastic idea Xeem :). But wouldn't it work better if the bag was sealed so as to avoid the rice attracting water from the atmosphere? If you dried the rice in the oven beforehand that would probably help as well. Rock salt would also make a great alternative to rice :).

    Anyway good luck lordmac!
  14. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601


    Feb 10, 2004
    Yeah, you have to pop the controls off to open the shuffle, if I recall, but it is non destructive.

    Also, don't lie it directly in the sun to try it off. The intense sunlight and heat will almost certainly break it. The idea of using a hairdryer on the cool low setting is a good one though!
  15. AmigoMac macrumors 68020


    Aug 5, 2003
    I read the whole post waiting for pics :mad: ;)

    Let it dry and good luck. Hope you recover it.

Share This Page