Shuffle: Yay or Nay?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by mckyvlle, May 21, 2008.

1. mckyvlle macrumors 6502a

Been thinking about getting an iPod lately, mainly to use during my evening runs, gym, and commute to work. As the title says, my choice is the Shuffle, the 1gb model. It is also going to be my first iPod! I am obviously very late into the iPod game :eek:

Is the Shuffle still worth it at this point in time? Buyer's Guide says "Neutral". Of course there are much worse ways to blow USD49 instead of just getting one. :rolleyes:

What do you Shuffle/iPod owners think?

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I don't have one but my wife has 2 and loves them. They're absolutely perfect for the gym and stuff, and at the price they are now you really can't go far wrong.

3. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

I bought my first one last week, love it...
    I bought my second on last week, my wife loved mine so had to by her one.

4. windowpain macrumors 6502a

They do exactly the same basic thing as the ipod touch and the 160GB ipod classic...and thats play music.
    They are very small, very light and cheap. They are awesome!

5. mdwsta4 macrumors 65816

love the shuffle for the gym/running. that's exactly what i use it for. clip it to your shorts and you'll never know it's there. there's no need for a screen when you're working out. upload a good playlist and you're good to go

6. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

I have a Nano and a Shuffle and I use the Shuffle more often. It's so small and light, highly recommended... :cool:

7. applegoddess09 macrumors member

applegoddess09

I bought one for the purpose of working out and walking to classes, and it definitely serves its purpose well. As many have said, it's light, simple, and very easy to use when running. I clip it to the top of my shirt and can easily change songs when running. Perfect little companion to my many runs. :)

8. Oneness macrumors regular

I have 3 iPods and the only one I ever use is my beloved orange shuffle. I love it. It's like your not even wearing one. If I could just get bluetooth headphones and lose the headphone cord I would be set.

9. Emulsion macrumors 6502

Dude, get it. People aren't lying when they say you forget its there. Even if you don't like the song that comes on you can change it without looking. It's perfect for exercise. The touch on the other hand is a pain in the butt. I forgot my shuffle once when I went to the gym, and I pretty much got fed up. Between having to unlock the screen, freaking out the accelerometer when running, and getting it all sweaty. It's nice having the shuffle. Who cares if it gets all sweaty and nasty, and dirty. It's money well spent, Im just mad I didn't get one before. I went a year working out with my 5G Classic, and the shuffle rules. Its what it was made for.

10. mckyvlle thread starter macrumors 6502a

Many thanks you guys!

I'll pop by my Apple Reseller and see what colours they have in stock. :)

11. Acronym macrumors 68000

i wouldnt ge a shuffle i dont see its uses i personaly would go with a nano at least i dont like the idea of not having the option to not play songs on shuffle

12. mckyvlle thread starter macrumors 6502a

There is a slider at the bottom of the Shuffle that switches between shuffle and repeat modes.

13. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Apple isn't that stupid. I never use my Shuffle in shuffle mode. Ever. Don't like it, don't need it. It's a nice option to have sometimes tho, I guess.

14. cloudnine macrumors 6502a

cloudnine

I love it. With the fear of sounding corny, it keeps my playlist "fresh", meaning that I'm never "expecting" a song to come on after whatever I'm listening to. Shuffle's a godsend :p heh.

15. PYR0M310N macrumors 6502a

PYR0M310N

You might want to hold out to WWDC (9th June) which isn't long away to see what Apple has to offer after that, because if your using at the gym, they might be going to upgrade their iPod Nike products, but if that sort of thing doesn't appeal to you, then go for it.

16. mckyvlle thread starter macrumors 6502a

Good point! Of course, the question is always when will Apple launch a new iPod? ;)

The current Shuffle probably has the best form-factor as the workout iPod. Tiny, nearly weightless, no screen to bust up, and a built-in clip. Hard to say how could Apple improve it. I'm not keen on the fat-Nano. Its proportion is just wrong, and I really wouldn't be watching videos on that minuscule screen.

I was wandering about just now at my dealer, hoping to get a new 'old' stock of the orange Shuffle. But they were all out. I might still have a chance to get the orange one from other stores. Looks like some hunting this weekend.

17. MynameisMud macrumors newbie

i just got my first ipod a week ago. a refurbished 1gb shuffle. we use it mostly in the car to eliminate all the cd's we had in there.

we're very happy with it. i like the simplicity of it.

18. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

I use my shuffle for the gym or when I go to the grocery store because it's so small and portable. I use my iPod Touch at other times. The shuffle is great.

Cheers.

19. msbsound macrumors regular

I also added a shuffle to my ipod collection recently for running and dont know how I ever got by with out it. I used to carry my old classic 40 gig in my hand to prevent skipping.

I now find myself just grabbing the shuffle on the way to work most days too as opposed to my regular ipod.

As far as waiting, its true, they could come out with a new shuffle, but not really sure what they would change aside from memory size/form factor.

Personally, I find the current form great(although I do miss just plugging it straight into a usb port), and really dont need more than 1 gig of storage for my runs.

20. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I have a Shuffle that I use when I don't need to carry 80gb of music with me. Like on dog walks, adventures and such. Also places where it doesn't matter if I accidentally trash it.

They're really great little machines and gets out of the house more than my regular iPod at the moment (which is acting as a kind of hifi).

I just wish I waited a few weeks and bought the orange one :eek:

21. mckyvlle thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you all for your replies. I bought the indigo iPod Shuffle today. Yay!

<gushing>

Though not my first choice of colours, it certainly looks striking compared to the silver one. Too bad, living in a country with no online Apple Store means no easy way to get the refurb orange Shuffle nor a (Product)RED one.

Still, the iPod Shuffle is amazing! Let's start at the packaging. Most other products in this category will come in a "un-openable" blister pack, or a box with a lot of brown cardboard. Not so the Shuffle, lying in a clear plastic box sealed with a sticker. Pealing off the sticker with the handy pull-tab, and opening the plastic cover reveals the Shuffle on its pedestal. Below that lies the dock, earphones and read materials. Apple certainly knows how to push the correct buttons to make consumers feel good! :cool:

</gushing>

Since the battery was shipped with some charge in it, I loaded it up with music and then took it out for a run on a 30°c day. I am still surprised at how tiny the thing is! It weighs even less than my set of house-keys! Clipped to my T-shirt, I don't even notice it's there. It sounds terrific too. Perfect!

iP♥d Shuffle

22. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Congrats. It's a great product for those work outs and occasional listens.

23. aafuss1 macrumors 68000

aafuss1

I've got 2-one 512MB first gen, and a turquoise 1GB 2nd gen.