Shumway, a replacement for the prehistoric and slow Flash player.

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by mzs.112000, May 25, 2015.

1. mzs.112000 macrumors regular

Has anyone heard of Shumway? It is a Mozilla project, it is an open-source replacement for Adobe Flash player. It uses HTML5 and JavaScript and is faster than Flash.
    It renders Flash applets without any native code, and it works as an extension to Firefox and TenFourFox.
    I think that it could breath new life into PowerPC Mac's simply because it is secure, and faster.
    Ok, there are SOME isolated cases where Shumway renders slower than flash, but in general, on PowerPC most things will run faster than flash.

Here are some links:
    Main Page ) http://www.areweflashyet.com/shumway/
    Page with more tech details ) https://github.com/mozilla/shumway/wiki/Intro

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Very interesting! However the need for Adobe Flash has greatly diminished in light of the migration to HTML 5 on many sites including YouTube.

3. mzs.112000 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, in fact even on my craptel computers(Hackintosh 10.8 PC / Linux Mint 17.1 Laptop) I don't use Flash.

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I as well have abolished Flash from my usage aside from the yearbook editing site for school.

5. mzs.112000 thread starter macrumors regular

Maybe eventually they will switch to HTML5(the yearbook editing site).
    One day everyone will wake up and stop using Flash.

6. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Never understood MRs apparent hatred for Flash. Never had an issue with it myself. Its always worked fine for me. In fact, I've had more issues with HTML5 players than Flash Player.

7. Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

I agree. It's simply software that dropped support for PPC and probably didn't try too hard to iron out any performance glitches on X86 Macs either after the protracted Jobs/Adobe battle.

8. weckart macrumors 68040

Apart from the security issues the performance of Flash on like for like hardware on Windows and OSX is like night and day. Screaming fans and overheating cpus does not make for a satisfactory experience and all because of a rubbish container that bogged the system down, which otherwise would cope with the wrapped codec with alacrity.

9. Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

Was it always like that or only after the fallout - I can't remember Flash being particularly problematic pre Intel?
    I know Flash hit a hurdle with mobile devices, even so, I had a pre 3G mobile device/phone in 2002 called a Pogo that used Flash for it's UI.

Attached Files:

10. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I personally do not like Adobe Flash due to security holes that appear too commonly as well as the performance hit on older machines.

11. for this macrumors regular

But I've found the opposite. For my PPC Macs, yes, Flash ads bog my macs down. But I've found it's definitely better for watching videos like YouTube than HTML5. Smoother, less CPU strain.

12. mzs.112000 thread starter macrumors regular

I think Flash should be considered a virus. Based on this definition:
    A virus may slow down a computer(like Flash being very inefficient on PowerPC computer).
    A virus may serve as a backdoor for other things to slow down a computer(Flash based ads).
    A virus may expose security issues for other viruses to use(Flash has a lot of security issues).
    A virus may cause hassle for the computer user(Each update gets slower, sometimes an update may break things, and sometimes an update drops support for a platform(PowerPC and Linux))

13. CapnCrunch53 macrumors member

CapnCrunch53

By that logic, Windows is a virus LOL :D

Never heard of Shumway before; I like the fact that it utilizes HTML5. I'll have to read up on it more to form an opinion on it. I'm a big fan of HTML5 and think the Flash era is ready to end, or at least I'd like it to.

14. mzs.112000 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, Windows should be considered a virus too, and since Microsoft puts it on almost every computer sold in stores, it can also be considered a botnet. This is why I use Linux, it is faster, and does not crash, it is also more secure.

15. xsquid macrumors regular

xsquid

Funny, building my own windows boxes up until last year I have not had any crashing or actually any problems with windows since 98. I run yosemite on a mac now and have had more problems with it than any version of windows until I bought an ssd.

When I saw this thread I thought of Gordon Shumway.