Shure Announces its First Bluetooth Wireless Earphones

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 18, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Shure today announced the launch of its first ever Bluetooth-compatible earphones, bringing wireless connectivity to its SE headphone lineup. Both the new SE112 and the SE215 models are designed to connect to an iPhone using Bluetooth.

Shure says that both models feature high-quality, detailed sound that Shure headphones are known for, with a sound isolating design that blocks up to 37dB of outside noise, and a fit kit featuring a variety of sleeves for the best possible fit for each user.

The headphones each offer eight hours of battery life on a single charge and have a range of 30 feet.

[​IMG]

Shure's SE215 Earphones, priced at $150, come with a detachable Bluetooth Accessory Cable, an accessory that Shure is also selling on a standalone basis for $99. The cable can be used to add wireless connectivity to current Shure SE earphones.

The SE215 is available in translucent black, translucent blue, white, and clear.

Shure's more affordable SE112, priced at $100, does not include the detachable cable, instead offering only a fixed Bluetooth cable. This model is also only available in black.

[​IMG]

The new wireless SE112 and SE215 will be available from retailers that offer Shure products soon.

Article Link: Shure Announces its First Bluetooth Wireless Earphones

2. farewelwilliams macrumors 68000

3. dfnj123 macrumors 6502a

Anyone know what bluetooth audio codecs these support? Look on their website, and I couldn't find any technical specifications. These are a useless for iOS users if they don't support AAC.

4. lex22 macrumors member

5. dfnj123, Sep 18, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2017

dfnj123 macrumors 6502a

I agree it would be weird if they didn't support AAC. I just find it strange that Shure didn't mention the support of AAC in their announcement info.

Hope the new cable works out for you.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 18, 2017 ---
    Q&A on Shure's website mentions there is no aptX with the bluetooth cable. If there is also no AAC support then audio will likely default to SBC on Mac/iOS (which is a shame). I've played around with different bluetooth audio codecs with my wireless headphones, and in my experience SBC sounded significantly worse than aptX or AAC on the same headphones. For the higher-end Shure SE earbuds they would hardly be taking advantage of them if limited to SBC...

Apologies for being a pessimist. I just don't think these are worth a purchase until Shure is transparent on the support/features.

6. luvbug macrumors regular

luvbug

I can see why the airPods are selling so well. Cables to implement BT?

7. ILuvEggplant Suspended

ILuvEggplant

Awesome!

Finally some decent alternatives to the ugly airpods. And good pricing at that.

Seriously the airpods look like out of Something about mary

8. budselectjr macrumors 6502a

I like my BeatsX’s. It’s useful if you need to take one or both out for whatever reason they can just hang around your neck.

9. Loge macrumors 68030

Loge

I like Shure earphones (SE535s for example), but they don't make good cables. I'll consider it when they make something that's genuinely wireless.

10. bassanoclapper macrumors 6502

bassanoclapper

Retrofitting to original buds is nice, my SE215s so great

11. lex22 macrumors member

Well I guess I'll find out. The FCC filing shows a Microchip device.

https://fccid.io/DD4-RMCE-BT1/Internal-Photos/Internal-Photos-3459429

Don't know if that helps clear this up.

12. chiefsilverback macrumors 6502

I could be tempted by this. I've got a pair of 215s that I'm currently using with the 3.5mm to lightning adapter. Turning them into bluetooth headphones is a very attractive option! If I do that though it will make the case for a pair of AirPods much weaker...

13. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Awesome that Shure is selling the cable as a stand-alone for existing buds. Can't wait to test out on my 535s. No worries about AAC support, or lack of, since I don't use that codec.

14. meboy macrumors 6502

Doesn't look very ergonomic with that chunk of plastic right at the back of your neck.
    Maybe it will be okay though.

Very curious.
    Looking forward to reviews.

15. robbieleffel macrumors member

robbieleffel

Can we stop calling this 'wireless' please? smh

16. meboy macrumors 6502

Can you stop being one of "those" people please?

17. robbieleffel macrumors member

robbieleffel

Nope.
    Did you see the new 'screenless' iPhone X? It's amazing. Or the new 'wheelless' Tesla Model 3? So cool.

Ridiculous, right?

18. MDF314159265 macrumors 6502

MDF314159265

Best pair of earphones I ever heard were my Shure SE102s... that was YEARS ago. They couldn't achieve bass like Bose ear/headphones, but mids and highs were fantastic. Curious to see if Shure ever truly goes wireless. The day they start to compete with AirPods - that'll be the day my AirPods finally get a break!
    Just 'cause they call it a "cable" doesn't mean its "wireless". Inside the "cable" is a buncha freagin' wires. Not wireless. Therefore, I shall also be one of "those" people. Stop calling it "wireless!":mad:

19. lex22 macrumors member

Apparently Westone makes a similar cable. It's $50 more, and supports APTx, but the reviews are decidedly mixed.

20. v0lume4 macrumors 68000

v0lume4

Bluetooth headphones like these are more along the lines of what I'm interested in. I've never been one of those "Cell phones give you cancer!" types, but in the case of AirPods I'm not sold on them being entirely safe to use.

Those reports of users getting headaches (check this forum or Reddit) sketched me out.

21. adamjackson macrumors 68000

!!!!

NICE. Ordering immediately. I have a pair of SE535s and while I generally plug them into my iPod Classic, there have been a few cases where I forget my iPod and am stuck using the AirPods with the iPhone since I don't carry the Lightning adapter with me. The 535s are amazing and the E500 / SE30s I've owned for a decade are still going strong.

I have no issue spending $99 to prolong these great monitors.

I trust Shure when they say the quality will be great. I hope they sound as great over BT as they do plugged in.

22. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

I love how Shure is updating their earphones for the 21st century. Both the Lightning and Bluetooth cables will be perfect for my SE846's.

23. dfnj123 macrumors 6502a

The problem is that if this adapter doesn't support AAC then it will default to SBC on Mac/iOS. The default settings for SBC on Mac OS significantly compresses audio (look at the SBC section in the link below). It sounds tinny/bad in my opinion. I'm not sure if it's the same on iOS, but I haven't been trilled with SBC on my iPhone either.

http://theheadphonelist.com/wireless-fidelity-making-sense-bluetooth-headphone-technology/#codecs

It's a pain in the butt to manually change SBC compression settings on Mac. You need to look for Apple's "Bluetooth Explorer" developer program (which Apple has stopped distributing for some reason, you can find a dl link easily on Google). I've included a picture below of "Bluetooth Explore" to give an idea how it can change bluetooth codec settings.

Without changing the default SBC settings on Mac you would be setting yourself up for a sub-par audio experience...
    [​IMG]
    I also just blatantly believe AAC compression is better than SBC compression, but whether or not one would be able to hear the difference is up for debate.

24. FredtheGoddess macrumors newbie

FredtheGoddess

Nothing compares to a comfortable piece of headset. It does not matter what shape, what it looks like, what's presence, and what's lacking in features. Finding a wireless headphone that fits to your lifestyle is similar to trusting your guts and let is decide for you. I don't wanna name brands, it is for you to look around.

" world without music is dull. synomous to colors that gives life to earth, it is music that gives emotions to life. - by fred. "

25. Archer1440 Suspended

Archer1440

They use a micro USB for charging. Mine will arrive in the morning, looking forward to seeing how they will work with my 535's.

Will report back here after testing.