Shure e2c or V-Moda Bass Freq?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by metalarmed, Sep 20, 2007.

1. metalarmed macrumors member

For those of you who have any one of these earphones, do you like it? Which one do you prefer? They're both at $50 right now so I'm not sure which to get. Help!

2. xerikx macrumors regular

v-moda

they're not a pain to wear, they're actually comfortable, and i think the sound quality is better

3. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

4. metalarmed thread starter macrumors member

Are the shure's in-the-ear earphones really a pain to wear? That's what I'm most afraid of. If so, I think i might cancel my shure order and get the v-modas.

5. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

Shure headphones are designed to have the cord wrap around the back of your ear. This is a good or bad thing depending on how you wear your headphones. One small benefit of wearing them this way is that microphonic pickup (noise induced from the headphone cord rubbing against your clothing) is reduced in this arrangement.

I have some Shure E4C that sounds pretty nice. One thing I like about them is the availability of fairly inexpensive foam tips which form a complete seal and allow me to listen at much lower volume levels in noisy environments. the Shure are not noted for having really deep bass (I'm not a bass head though, deaf enough already).

I have often contemplated ordering a set of Jays, Etymotics or other earphones as a "backup" pair and for comparison purposes.

6. xerikx macrumors regular

it's not the fact you have to have them go around behind your neck, it's the fact they have to loop over your ears and then go into your ear canal and stick out awkward

if you get this don't plan on laying down with them on

7. metalarmed thread starter macrumors member

Well, I just cancelled the shure's and bought the vmoda's. The vmoda's were $35 so I thought they'd be cheap enough (yet good) units to experiment with earphones.

8. pushateg7 macrumors member

where'd you get them for 35?

9. metalarmed thread starter macrumors member

10. OrangeCuse44 macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

does Apple sell the v-modas in store so i can try them out?

11. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I saw them in one of the Orlando Apple stores on Wednesday.

12. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

If you pump up the Vibes, you can actually feel them moving (its crazy)

13. skrysko macrumors member

I would stay away from the V-Moda Bass Freq. My first pair the wire came loose near the jack and the sound was cutting in and out. The second pair I got as a warranty replacement, the little metal grill in the earphone came out while in my ear. I didn't even notice until hours later when I scratched my ear and a tiny metal grill fell out.

14. aft macrumors regular

just as a warning, take it or leave it....I ordered from the amazon yesterday and their seller "eek Technology" cancelled my order today after my check card had been verified. So now I have a $57 charge on my card for the next "5-10 business days" that is absolutely pointless. This is the 2nd time a seller from Amazon did this to me and Amazon could care less, I'm done with them.

EDIT: I'm sorry I ordered the eShure's not the V-Moda, based on input from my brother who has both.

15. pushateg7 macrumors member

I concur, I'm not a big fan of ordering a lot of stuff off of Amazon. I had a run in with them last year, and customer service was clueless/slow.

16. xerikx macrumors regular

17. bogman12 macrumors regular

I own the e2c and i use the orange foams..

When the seal is not 100% tight, the e2c sounds no better than the ear buds that came with my iPod.. When the seal is tight, the e2c has better bass, but that should be attributed more to the tight seal rather than the ear buds.

Doesn't seem like a $99 ear buds should be only MARGINALLY better than the iPod earbuds.. Anyone else feel the same?

One thing I DON"T LIKE about my e2c is that the cord is pretty long and heavy (compared to the ipod buds, like the cord is heavy gauge or something ).. I find the standard iPod earbuds much easier to wear while walking around the house.

18. pushateg7 macrumors member

Alright damnit I gave in and got the V-Moda Bass Freq Platinum Whites ;)

ebayed 36 something with shipping.

19. twynne macrumors 6502a

Anyone used the V-Moda Vibes? Really like the look of them but not sure if they're more style than substance...

20. cubbie5150 macrumors 6502a

cubbie5150

I use them & they've been great. Disclaimer: I am clearly not an audiophile.