Shure e4c's and the iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by cowm007, Jul 19, 2007.

1. cowm007 macrumors regular

Anyone gotten any of the e*c family of headphones to work with the iPhone (without resorting to the disgusting Belkin adapter)? I've seen various possible mods out there like some earbud surgery to replace the buds of the standard headset with ones of your choice, or even shaving around the base of the plug to get a fit. I'm a bit hesitant to go doing anything of the sort with these as they are kind of expensive and I doubt warranty would cover any sort of damage like that lol.

I do however have an old pair of broken E3C's that I could feasibly subject to modding and testing. They could still be recovered and sold on eBay however but if using those as testers will get me a result for the e4c's I'm all for it.

Anyone have any specific details on how to make em work together, or at least some guidance as to what I might be able to do to them to make em compatible? Thanks in advance.

2. avkills macrumors 6502

avkills

I used a razor knife to shave my molded base down on my e3c. Works like a champ. Just be careful. I think I also used the file on my leatherman to smooth it out some.

-mark

3. blankleader macrumors newbie

I did the same shave-down with some E2Cs. Works perfectly, but it was weird to take a knife to something expensive.

4. gwass macrumors newbie

I have the e3c's - absolutely love them. Shure is coming out with a new adapter that's compatible with the iphone (URL below). It will have a in-line mic and control button. It's designed to work best with Shure's current line of earphones (SE310, SE530, etc). With the e3c, e4c, etc. the cable will be way too long and the mic won't be in the proper place. But instead of shaving down the plug on the e3c, you can get this adapter and remove a chunk of cable out of the e3c/e4c. That way the overall total length is manageable and the mic is in the right spot.

http://www.shure.com/PersonalAudio/Products/Accessories/CasesAdapters/us_pa_MPA_phone_adapter

5. PhatBoyG macrumors regular

PhatBoyG

That Shure adapter looks good.The e500 uses a short cable and an extension so I just shaved the extension tip so it fit. But if this new adapter is cokingout that will be perfect!

6. ecks618 macrumors 6502

ecks618

The adapter was originally $40 when they introduced it, now its $50. I guess buying $350 headphones isnt enough.....

7. pr5owner macrumors 65816

you should NOT have to pay anything to use your own headphones, does apple get the money in the end? because 3rd parties are making the adapters but do not have any kind of apple representation on them (no loyalty fees)

8. loudestnoise macrumors 6502

loudestnoise

I made my own RadioShack adapter for my e2s. Total cost $4. Doesn't look great, but works great. IMO better than the other "headphone adapters" especially since the shure earphones have pretty long cords already. My solution doesn't add length.

All you have to do for my specific solution is take an Xacto knife to the outer rubber rim and shave off a little bit, thus allowing it to fit inside iPhone's recessed jack.

Attached Files: