Shure se 215 conector head size - too big?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by imHappy, Jan 26, 2012.

1. imHappy macrumors regular

Hey guys,

My dad gift me a bose Mie2i that i want to return and get the cheaper but much better shure se 215. The thing is that i own the incipio ngp, and my current bose earbuds fit but it doesnt feel as it actually fit 100%. I've seen some pictures of the shure earbuds head connector, and it looks like its bigger than my bose's thus look like it simply wont fit with my ngp.

Anyone owns the shure 215? If so can you tell me if the conector head is really bulky?

Can anyone tell me cases that offer protection but with a large head jacket cutout(i wont get the slider, snap or feather)

Ps. Dont tell me to get the s4i since the cable is fragile!

Finally, does 1/8 refers to the conector head size? Or just the conector?

Thx in advance!

2. imHappy thread starter macrumors regular

3. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

Just look for a case that has a big opening for the headphone port. 1/8" is the jack size which is 3.5mm which is standard for the iPhone.

4. boyin macrumors newbie

I don't have the SE215, but I think this is the same connector. To give you a rough idea on size. I haven't seen and good case that will fit, I end up using an extension.

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

5. imHappy thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys!

Btw, will any extension work? or should i get one from a reputable brand? im asking this because i want to know if the sound quality could decrease with a generic cord extender

6. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

I have a set of Shure SE2's and it has the same plug. It's huge. Most cases that cover the headphone port will not allow the jack to fully seat and it will come un-connected easily. Your choices are from easiest to most difficult. 1) Use no case. 2) Use a case that does not cover the port 3) Take the headphones to a electronics repair shop and have them solder on a new slimmer version of the jack. If done right, it won't effect the sound at all.

Monster makes a good one. No, you won't hear the difference.

http://www.amazon.com/Monster-3-5-mm-Headphone-Adapter-iPhone/dp/B000YBY2U4

Attached Files:

7. imHappy thread starter macrumors regular

Thx Rocko.

What case are you using? and do you still use ur shure's in that case? or with an extender?

8. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

9. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

No, I don't use the headphones with my case on. Look for cases like this.
    http://cdn1.webvoo.com/cdn2/120202/3c/56/13/cappiphoc497_3_es.jpg

I am not even sure this would work. The darn plug is so big.

10. imHappy thread starter macrumors regular

ahh, i need more protection than the usual snap cases!

11. takeshi74 macrumors 601

4) Buy a short adapter that fits the case
    5) Drill a larger headphone jack opening in the case
    6) ???
    7) Profit!

12. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

I have the Shure SE315 with the XtremeMac case. Fits well but sometimes when I'm listening to music and have it in my pocket..it will occasionally slide out. But that's very rare.

13. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4s: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

In that case, the Otterbox Defender fits my Shure 215's headphone jack without an adaptor, if you're willing to go that route.