Shure Se215 or JayBird bluebud X

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by boateng, Dec 19, 2013.

1. boateng macrumors 6502

Which are better for running and to use out and about

2. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Completely different buds.

Shure's appear wired.

JayBird's are bluetooth and thus will shittify music with the SBC double transcode.

I like my Sennheiser sports, behind the head, sweat resistant, doesn't entirely block the sound of the world around, and short cord that goes just to my clip on ipod nano.

3. EmbraceTheOne macrumors 6502a

Shure Se215 or JayBird bluebud X

SE215s. A bunch of my friends use them for In Ear monitors when they play. They're pretty decent. Or spend the extra money and get customs by 1964 Ears.

Edit- Just realized you don't want full sound isolation. Se215s!

4. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

I am not an audiophile, but for me an average user I bought the Bluebud X's last month and they are awesome. The sound quality is good enough for me, and it has a microphone on them for phone calls as well. The battery last a long time and they fit well enough to wear at the gym with even coming loose once.

Again, this is the opinion of someone who is not an audiophile, with about 1 month of use.

5. boateng thread starter macrumors 6502

oh okay

so you recommend them.....
    do you use them with your iPhone or just in the gym?

----------

oh wow

6. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

I recommend them, I think they are great. I use them for regular headphones use as well, and I have even used them during phone calls.

7. jdag macrumors 6502a

I love my SE215s. I went through several sets of headphones 1st, including noise canceling, on-ears, over-ears, etc. I was initially against the Shures as I generally don't like anything in my ears.

But I find them very comfortable and secure. They sound great, and give an excellent level of outside noise isolation (not noise cancellation, just isolation).

My primary use is for air travel as I fly often. They do nearly as good a job as Bose Quietcomfort active noise canceling sets, but sound better (and don't make me sweat).

All that being said those JayBirds do have a great looking form factor. I'd love the wireless capability, but would be very much against yet another rechargeable device that could go dead on a long flight.

8. mikeydeezy macrumors 6502a

mikeydeezy

I'm using my X's right now.

If you want Bluetooth they are honestly the best for your buck. Great battery life and range and the fit is excellent.

9. boateng thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmm that's a good point

10. boateng thread starter macrumors 6502

sound quality?

11. SomeGuyDude macrumors 6502a

SomeGuyDude

False. BT is far, far better than it used to be. I have a pair of Backbeat GO 2 and they're MORE than adequate. I would never use them instead of my normal 'phones but they're damn fine.

12. boateng thread starter macrumors 6502

so normal earphones are the way to go?

13. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

Go with the Shure. Better sound and isolation. I have the SE315 and SE210s and love them. I going to pick up another pair for the gym.. either another SE315 or SE215.

After listening to my SE315 I don't want to go back to own a $10-20 pair. My iOS devices sound a lot better… Once you find the right buds, you will love them too.

14. FieldingMellish Suspended

I like the SE-215. Great bang for buck. Sturdy. Great mid-range sound, reasonable bass, not overdone, highs somewhat rolled off so it's not piercing. Generally, a warm sound.

Here's reviews from folks deeply into portable headphones:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/shure-se215-black/reviews

15. pdpmojo macrumors newbie

I can vouch for the Plantronics Backbeat Go 2.

The sound quality is as good as my klipsch s4i. Once you go wireless you really can go back. I use them at the GYM (water resistant a big plus), at work (answering calls and listening to music) and on my commute (perfect for crowded public transportation, no wire snags).

Highly recommend going these a try.

16. Pipper99 macrumors 68000

Pipper99

I bought the Backbeats Go 2 a couple of days ago. They sound pretty good if I remain still; however, every little movement that the wire makes against my shirt reverberates through the earbuds: it's very annoying and makes the earbuds unlistenable. Am I doing something wrong? Maybe I have a defective pair?

17. tcurtin macrumors newbie

Bluebud X Sport

Just posted this on another topic, then saw your question here. I haven't tried the Se215s, but I freakin' love my JayBird BlueBuds X Sports (which are down to $152.90 on Amazon right now, but there's only 16 of them left.) I sweat like a fiend while I run, and have had several previous bluetooth (and wired) headphones die on me in the past. I've been using these hard since September, and they're still going strong. Great sound (I'm not an audiophile, but these sound better to me than a lot of the wired sets I've used) the connection doesn't drop for me regardless of which side of my body my phone is on (and I keep it in pants pocket or running belt, not even in an armband), and maybe best of all the cable can be shortened to hug tightly against the back of your head, which means no cable bounce. (Between the noise coming through the cable and the way the cable would pull where it stuck to my neck, cable bounce has annoyed me to no end in the past, both with an earlier model of Jaybirds, and with wired headphones... These are the first I've used that don't do any of that, and I love it!)

They're super small and light, but after the original sizes of ear buds didn't quite fit, I found my ears worked better with these, and they've stayed in well since: Comply Tsx-500 Comfort PLUS Earphone Tips (make sure you get the 500s, they fit the X Sports.) If you're looking for increased isolation, Comply also makes an Isolation version.

Phonecalls are good too, although you have to undo the cable shortening to get the mike in the best place - I don't usually use them for calling, so that doesn't bother me. You even get an indicator of battery strength on the iphone screen, which my previous headphones didn't do. I had sticker shock at first, but the Bluebud X have been very worth it.

The only thing I wish these were better at is pairing with more than one thing - I'd love to be able to sometimes pair to my computer, but my phone is always on nearby, and I haven't found a clean way to bounce between the two that didn't involve removing/readding profiles, etc. That's a pretty minimal gripe though.

More than willing to answer any questions on these, that's how much I like 'em.

18. ihonda macrumors 68000

jaybirds hands down.

----------

could always do the slide up command center and disable bluetooth on phone.. just a thought

19. matrix808 macrumors regular

another vote for jaybirds, i left my iPod in the squat rack and walked half way across the gym and forgot i left my iPod there. I lost connection cause there was a wall between me and my iPod, but as long as there is direct line of sight connection is excellent. all my bluetooth bias is now gone!

20. tcurtin macrumors newbie

I'm sure I tried this, and the bouncing back and forth that way wasn't painless, but don't remember exactly why. (I think I had to re-pair with the mac every time... not at home for a bit, but I'll try next time I am.)