Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

justforfun

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2008
Hey all.

I must first let everyone know that I am completely technologically illiterate. I know nothing. And that is why I love macs. A couple of years ago I purchased a simple macbook something or other, and now I've just bought the Air. I love it. But I must say, it has not been that easy getting started. Here is what has happened so far:

1. Was planning to do a Migration. Unfortunately, my old macbook didn't have the "To another Mac" option. It was only by reading a random article online did I figure out how to update my migration assistant. So, did that. Great. Ran the Migration. Took about 4 hours, even though at one point it said it would take 17 hours. Got the message: "Migration Successful". Very excited.

2. Went to open Office 2004, which was really the only program I needed, and it was a no go. I was directed to "Terminal"? Don't ask me. A bunch of gibberish.

3. Pretty frustrated at this point, I just resolve to buying the superdrive and buying Office 2008(because I couldn't find the 2004 disc!). And of course, the retail stores are out of stock! For days! I'm in NYC. Finally, just order it online. Takes 5 days to get here with overnight shipping. Fine. Install Office 2008. All is good.

4. Today, I decide to Shut Down instead of Sleep. I don't now why. When I turn back on, I'm back to factory settings. My documents are also gone. After doing some online research, it appears that maybe I've got two Users going. Fine. I check and I do. It seems like one is from the migration and one was created when I first started the Air. And this is where I'm at. What do I do now? I found an article that said something about renaming one "_new" but it appears I don't have authority to do this. I really don't know what to do at this point.

Sorry about the long-winded post. I am just a complete computer idiot and just want my Macbook Air to function as well as it is beautiful. Thanks for any assistance.

P.S. The little house icon is by my old mac's name.

P.P.S. Stop laughing at me.

P.P.P.S. I think I solved the "problem". I didn't quite realize I could logout and log back in as another user. I'm so ashamed of my ignorance.

P.P.P.S. Really stop laughing now.

justforfun

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2008
awwwww I find it kinda cute and charming.......

oh, you don't even know the half of it.

I also figured out how to delete the other two users(my old mac from my two failed migration attempts). Yes, I know, it may seem insignificant to all of you, but it was rather empowering for me! I'm taking control of the machine!

On an unrelated note, today I ordered the hard case from Waterfield, only to be sent a follow-up email that they're out-of-stock and won't have any to ship until early march.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.