Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phwoar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 14, 2016
Impressive device, with only one malfunction that I can detect (MBP tb). The help guide and the Apple website tells us to just hold down the power button for a short time until we see the "restart, sleep, shut down" prompt.

But of course, there is no prompt to speak of, and this results in a hard reset. Everyone following the instructions will think a hard reset is a normal shutdown. Can't be good for the shutdown process, surely.

No doubt will be fixed in the coming software updates, otherwise very impressive. A massive iPad, hinged to a screen, and running Sierra. Nice! Almost feels like it weighs about the same as a large iPad - unbelievable achievement.

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
Impressive device, with only one malfunction that I can detect (MBP tb). The help guide and the Apple website tells us to just hold down the power button for a short time until we see the "restart, sleep, shut down" prompt.

But of course, there is no prompt to speak of, and this results in a hard reset. Everyone following the instructions will think a hard reset is a normal shutdown. Can't be good for the shutdown process, surely.

No doubt will be fixed in the coming software updates, otherwise very impressive. A massive iPad, hinged to a screen, and running Sierra. Nice! Almost feels like it weighs about the same as a large iPad - unbelievable achievement.

Yes, never thought about it, but now that you say it I remember trying to get the reset/sleep prompt by holding the power button and nothing happened. Holding it longer did a hard reset.

Rkuda

macrumors regular
May 23, 2016

I just think of the TouchID button as an emergency shut down button now. I wouldn't be surprised to see the wording on the website to be change to remove the wording about brining up the prompt. Probably more likely than the prompt coming back on button hold.

Phwoar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 14, 2016
Thanks both for replying - laughed at the thought of them just deleting the instructions instead of doing something about it.

Bump - anyone else not seeing a prompt for shutdown/sleep/restart, when pressing the power button once?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.