Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Neoraven

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2006
Hello all,

I just picked up a MBP 15" i7, and have been running into a few interesting bugs that I hope someone can shed some light on:

1) Clicking "Shut Down" causes the computer to log out, then shut off only to reboot itself.

2) Closing the lid will not sleep the computer, evident of the increasing heat and eventually overheats and shuts itself off so I need to hold the power button to reboot upon opening the lid.

I migrated from a Time Machine backup that was running Leopard, I'm not sure if it's relevant but worth mentioning. Thanks

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
You can try to reset PRAM and SMC and repair permissions. If that doesn't work, it's probably caused by the Time Machine restore/install. You might have to do a fresh install and then try to restore data separately. This might be caused by an older OS with newer hardware (Core i7) causing some conflict because of the lack of drivers.

jimbobba2773

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2008
I had the same problem when I would shut the lid and the laptop would not sleep. It had a hardware fault which I've had it replaced. The problem I saw was there was a little lump near the trackpad and this (I think) is the sensor that makes it sleep. When I held the lid slightly up it would sleep but when closed it would sleep, then wake using power.

Thank god it was fixed (by replacement) and they are going to send me a $50 voucher for the trouble.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.