Shut off iMac while updating = Now bricked?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by G2G2, Jan 1, 2009.

1. G2G2 macrumors newbie

So I have an iMac that I purchased several months ago...

Today I was installing my system update and decided to just skip it and watch a movie, and update while I sleep, I turned off my iMac while the update was at 15%. Silly me.

I reboot and there is an error screen that says please reboot.

I reboot, and it comes back to the error screen.

I try to reinstall OS X Leopard with my DVDs, the first disk installs (but somehow it doesn't ask if me I want to archive), but the iMac doesn't recognize the second one.

I tried to repair the disk, but when I boot OS X the error screen still appears.

I also tried booting in safe mode, that didn't work.

How can I get OS X working and keep my files?

2. ewilson6 macrumors 6502

reboot from first cd then open disk utility and reformat your hard drive and do a clean install.

3. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

Was this while installing the 10.5.6 update? Was your problem anything like this one?

4. JediMeister macrumors 68040

I don't believe you're prompted to archive or not, you'll have to in the window where you select a destination, click on Options and make sure both Archive and Install and preserve users and network settings are marked. As far as the second disc is concerned, if it won't recognize, call AppleCare and see if they can send you a replacement second disc. If you've had Time Machine running as well, its possible to restore the system to a previous date. While booted up to the installation disc, there should be an option under one of the menus, I believe Utilities, where you can opt to restore the system to a previous date. Just find one as near to before the updates and restore if possible.

5. G2G2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thx for the responses. I was able to solve the problem the next morning. I love OS X.

6. nippyjun macrumors 65816

How did you fix it?