shut off or leave on

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by xman1, Apr 17, 2008.

1. xman1 macrumors newbie

I have a new 20" imac and use it daily about an hour in the morning and a couple of hours at nite.

I leave it on all the time.

As far as computer health, is it better to shut it down and start up daily or just let it run?

Thanks for the help
    Paul

2. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

You can just put it in sleep mode for the sake of energy savings however it's actually better to leave it on because the maintenance scripts are performed in the middle of the night. The scripts clear out unused ram in the inactive state as well as stopping unnecessary services in the background. So for the sake of self maintenance keep it running constantly.

3. joegomolski macrumors 6502

joegomolski

There is a shareware program, Macaroni, see it at;

http://www.atomicbird.com/macaroni/

Cost $10. This program can be scheduled to run the OS X maintenance programs.

I put my system to sleep at night, always rebooting in the morning.

And schedule Macaroni to run during the day.

Works for me.

4. bradbowl macrumors member

I never shut my iMac down and it works just fine. The only time I ever reboot is when an apple update requires it. However, from a green standpoint this is probably not the best for mother earth (or your wallet).

5. billmister macrumors 6502

I put my imac on sleep everyday. The only time i shut it off is when i'm not going to use it for a couple of days... That's what the manual says to do anyway.

My macBook i also put it to sleep because i usually end up using it more than once a day; everyday.

So my imac gets shutt off like once every 2 weeks or 3