shutdown and electric shock

Discussion in 'iMac' started by licalica, Nov 1, 2014.

1. licalica macrumors newbie

Hi

My imac from 2009 suddenly shut down.

a week ago I had a little electric shock touching the screen frame of the imac. It was more than static electricity because it was there several times when I touched it. The imac wasn't turned on but was plugged into the power socket. I turned off the power on the wall and turned it on again and I didn't get shock anymore when I touched it. Since then I've been a bit worried touching it but it's been ok this past week, then suddenly tonight it just shut down all of a sudden and I'm afraid to turn it on again. Nothing else shut down. Can anybody help?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

3. licalica thread starter macrumors newbie

no it's not grounded, in my country it's not normal to ground computers

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It should be grounded. What you're feeling is the result of an ungrounded computer. It won't harm you unless you have a pacemaker or other electrical device within you. Do try to get it grounded.

5. tom0511 macrumors member

shouldn't it be sufficient when the electrical outlet you plug your computer into is being grounded (which hopefully should be the case)?

iMacs typically should be ESD-tested to avoid EOS or even electricity leaking from the housing. But that of course assumes a grounded outlet...

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

That is sufficient, but licalica's iMac isn't grounded.

7. licalica thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your answers, I guess I will have to get an electrician to help me get it grounded and hope nothing happend to my imac, but in my country it's not normal to ground computers, only washing machines and stuff like that, but it is possible to do

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

9. licalica thread starter macrumors newbie

10. tom0511 macrumors member

Its hard for me to imagine, that the power outlet in the wall (where you plug your power cord into) is not being grounded. This is typically being done by default during construction work.

Maybe you want to check this with your landlord first before paying an electrician in the first place, only for finding out later, that the issue is within the imac.

11. licalica thread starter macrumors newbie

ok I will, but we normally only have two pins in our sockets, but i don't know much about electricity so I will ask my landlord, thanks

12. tom0511 macrumors member

Same here in Germany, two pins, but also grounded.