Shutdown, closing lid

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dpk, Mar 22, 2008.

1. dpk macrumors newbie

I ran in to a problem earlier that I'm betting other people have seen (but I'm not able to find). I pressed the power button and chose "shutdown" and immediately closed the lid. I believe the computer then went to sleep, because when I opened the lid later, the computer did some work and powered off, like it completed the original shutdown request.

Does anyone know if there is a way to disable the lid-close-sleep feature while shutting down (or rebooting for that matter)?

2. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

Try this application. Activate it right before you shut down. (You just have to click an icon in the menu bar)

3. dpk thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll give it a shot. Is there a way to make it automatic? Maybe with some app that takes over the power button.

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

All laptops do that AFAIK.

5. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Dumb question... But why were you shutting down the computer? You are better off just waiting the 30 seconds for the comptuer to shutdown, or hold down power button until the computer instantly turns off.

TEG

6. dpk thread starter macrumors newbie

I was shutting down the computer because I was done with it for the night. On my old HP notebook, I disabled the "sleep when lid closed" feature because it would interrupt my SSH sessions, and for the most part when I closed it I just wanted it out of the way, not "off". If I wanted to turn it off, I would press the power button which would cause the computer to hibernate (copy all of the RAM contents to disk, shut down drivers, and power off). I'd close the lid right after hitting the power button and then I'd forget about the computer. Waiting for it to shut down is kind of a step backwards. :)

I'm going to hammer on this some more tonight, focusing on a way to launch Caffeine and then display the sleep/restart/shutdown dialog when the power button is pressed.

7. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

You're better off just shutting the lid then totally shutting down every night. It just puts it to sleep and when you open it's exactly as it was. I never shutdown mine unless doing service/maintenance on hrdwr. or need to for extended non-use intervals (days.)

For some reason that's a habit I've never been able to break on our companies Windows to OSX converts.

8. dpk thread starter macrumors newbie

I think I may have picked up the habit from my use of desktop computers (Mac and Windows) coupled with my desire to conserve energy. With a desktop Windows PC I would go to Start->Shutdown and press the Shutdown icon, and I could just leave. When I moved to a Windows notebook, I had to change a setting to make it so I could take an action (hibernate) and then be done with it. I forget how I shut down old Macs (System 6). It's foreign to me (and perhaps other desktop users?) to wait for the computer to shut off before moving on to other tasks.

Sleeping is certainly more convenient, but I like to be able to shut off a computer and know it's "off" and not wasting power. The notebook might get 3-4 hours of use per day, so that's about 20 hours of energy waste per day. If it were convenient, I'd have hard power switches on all of my non-TiVo devices to waste that much less energy, even if it'd only save a handful of wH/day. At least until I'm able to install some solar panels and have effectively "free" energy. :)

9. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

I gotcha' now... Yeah, you can either hit the power button or use the shutdown command from under :apple: in menu bar. Either way, you have to wait for all app's to save & close or it will hang at shutdown task if lid is shut immediately and reestablish when opened - from sleep.

10. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Well, sleeping uses almost no energy, or you can just disconnect from power and sleep.

TEG