Shutdown MBP when flying?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SPX, Jul 31, 2010.

?

When flying, do you do a complete shutdown of your MBP, or just put it to sleep?

1. Shutdown

6 vote(s)
    35.3%
  2. Sleep

9 vote(s)
    52.9%
  3. Either or, it makes no difference

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  1. SPX macrumors member

I have been told that it is better for the MBP to be shutdown when flying, rather than simply be put to sleep.

Furthermore, I've been told that by having the MBP sleeping rather than shutdown, you can fry your logic board if the computer is jarred.

Fact or fiction?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Sleeping is fine. You can't fry your logic board by jarring the Mac, as there's no moving parts on the logic board.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Airlines usually want all electronics to be shut down during the take-off and landing but sleeping should be just fine, I never turn off my phone

4. TZRaceR6 Guest

TZRaceR6

Can't remember where I read it, but specs from Apple indicate it can operate "up to" an altitude of 10,000 ft. When you fly on aircraft like 737, 757, 767, etc... the cabin is pressurized to approx 7,000ft above sea level equivalent.
    It is fine to operate your laptop during flight. Won't harm it (unless you have a cabin depressurization at 37,000ft, in which case, you'll have more pressing matters to worry about.) :D

5. magamo macrumors 6502

I always shutdown all my electronics devices during take-off and landing. I don't use a laptop on a domestic flight but do use my MBP during a long international flight.

6. TZRaceR6 Guest

TZRaceR6

The show Mythbusters also showed it was complete bvllshit that electronic devices (like computers and PDA's) have any effect what-so-ever on a plane during take off and landing.

7. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

I usually shut down my 13" MBP when I go on flights.
    However, my old PowerBook has always been sleeping on flights, and has lasted 5 years, so I think it's ok to have it sleeping.
    Regarding the shutting down electronics rule on planes, I try my best with computers, but usually get sidetracked and forget. I remember when I had just taken off about 2 years ago, was in the air, and I got a call on my iPhone. :eek:

So far, no damage, although, if you want to use your MBP mid flight, not having the startup time might give you a few more minutes of work. :)

8. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

Apparently it's mainly to do with distractions. Taking off and landing is theoretically the most dangerous part of a flight, so you need to be fully aware of what's going on.

But It depends if I'm gonna use the computer. If I'm gonna use it, it sleeps. If I'm not, I turn it off.

9. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

Using stuff on the plain is mainly not allowed because of distractions and for the sake of everyone aboard. How would you feel if people were talking on their phones the whole time for an 8 hour flight (from Denver) to hawaii or even an international flight. :)

That's why they let you use computers. They are usually nice and quiet.
    Going back on topic, I'm sure if sleeping your MBP was an issue, the flight attendant would insist multiple times everyone shut down their computers.

10. magamo macrumors 6502

A huge metal bird flying at the speed of sound is already half BS to me. I follow what they say so I don't break whatever magic spell they're using to make it fly.

11. Apple-NoEscape macrumors 6502

Well I've seen people watching movies and playing games on a plane before (on their MacBook of course) so I'm going to say it's fine.