Shutdown Noise

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by slater-k, Nov 29, 2013.

1. slater-k macrumors regular

Hi all,

Is there some way that i can configure my phone on ios7 to make a noise as it shuts down. I prefer to let the battery run down totally, but without some sort of alert, i won't know it's shut down until i check the phone, which may be some time later ... missed calls etc

I'm guessing that apple, in their infinite wisdom, say no :(

Cheers

2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

No, there is no way. And, just curious, why do you like to let it run down totally? I don't think that's good for it..why not just charge it?

3. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

No option available.

Btw it's not a wise idea to let the battery run down totally every time. Not good at all ...

4. slater-k thread starter macrumors regular

Hi Guys, thanks for the reply. I guess i'm misremembering the apple advice to fully discharge once a month, and assuming that fully discharging is positive in some way.

Googling around i see that a battery cycle can be split over many different charges ... so is the best advice to just charge it when ever you feel like it?

Cheers

5. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Yes, best advise is to just charge when it needs some charging.

And yes, maybe the occasional (very occasional) full drain, but I would never do it on purpose, only when there's no other option. And especially not nearly every day.

You don't need to do anything special to take care of your battery. Just use your phone as normal, and charge whenever is convenient. Most people charge overnight, but some use their phones a bit throughout the day and have chargers at work, in their cars, etc. Never hurts to keep the battery level up, just in case you get stuck somewhere.

6. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Yeah man no need to overdo it. If u want to do a calibration just let it run down to a single digit is good enough.

7. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

It does not harm the battery to let it run down until the phone shuts off. The charging circuitry prevents the battery from discharging to a damaging level.

No, that was Apple's recommendation for years and only recently removed it from their website.

Yessir. Apple recommends that you use 100% of the battery every month and it doesn't matter how.

8. slater-k thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks Tyler23, Mrbobb & PNutts, really grateful for your info. I'll just make sure to let it run down once a month, but after that not think too much about it too much!

Cheers :)

9. LV426 macrumors 6502a

Don't do it. Apple provide guidance here and here.

10. slater-k thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, but i couldn't see any advice saying that you shouldn't run down the battery on those links ...? :confused: The closest that i could get is that you should complete one charge cycle per month, but nothing on running it down. Thanks tho

11. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

Just relax and enjoy your phone. Put it on charge while sleeping and you are ready to go.

12. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

You want a phone that chirps at you incessantly when it's running low on battery? That's the most annoying **** ever.

13. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Use your phone during the day. Charge when you go to bed. Rinse & repeat.

14. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

What's funny and irritating at the same time is that six months ago those same links would have told you to let the phone run down once a month. :)