Shutdown times went from 1 second to 33 seconds!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ultimax66, Dec 30, 2014.

1. ultimax66 macrumors newbie

As per title, the shutdown times on my Macbook Pro Retina 15" mid 2014 running Yosemite with all the latest updates have went from 1 second to 33 seconds on average.

I read other posts and seen people recommending deleting old files in the LaunchDaemons and LaunchAgents folders. I did that to no avail.

I then download CleanMyMac 2 and ran that, deleted all the old files, broken login items etc etc etcccc.

Nothing works. I'm new to OSX, however I'm very computer literate. I have no idea what to do.

Any help would be appreciated.

P.S. I'm closing all open applications before shutting down, doesn't make a difference.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

CleanmyMac isn't really going to help, and generally speaking it can hurt it.

Did you look at the console logs to see if there's anything occurring there?

3. ultimax66 thread starter macrumors newbie

I seen in another thread a few people had success with cleanmymac. Like I say, I'm new to OSX. Literally got the Macbook a few days ago.

I'll look into the console logs, I'll need to Google about to understand.

4. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

To be honest, close the lid. You don't need to shut down, just put the computer to sleep.

5. aquilc, Dec 30, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2014

aquilc macrumors member

Check if FileVault is turned on. If it is, turn it off.

Regarding CleanMyMac and other 3rd party "performance boosters", I don't believe in them. From my experience with Windows OS, when software is getting slow, I perform a clean installation (although a computer which is less than 6 months old does not require a clean OS re-installtion unless the SDD/HDD is replaced, or malware infection/attack). Sometimes removing adware, clearing history, temporary files helps (especially useless internet browser add-ons).

However I recommend disabling FileVault first. I have a MacBook Pro with Retina Mid-2014, and it wasn't shutting down when the battery was around 30% (First time I turned it off with less than 50% of battery capacity) and it wasn't shutting off, I turned off FileVault and voila, problem solved :)

Also are you quitting apps or just closing them?

Make sure that you quit any opened apps instead of closing them if you do not plan to use them immediately.

6. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

In my opinion, telling someone to turn off FileVault 2 (if he or she has it on) is bad advice. It is an important security feature. Giving up that kind of security to possibly be able to shut down in one second doesn't make sense, especially when you don't even know what the problem is.

7. aquilc macrumors member

I understand your concern. I couldn't agree with you more about turning off security utilities, but forums are full of threads with FileVault issues.

My new Macbook wasn't shutting off (waited a few minutes). I searched forums and found that FileVault was the culprit, switched it off and the problem was solved. The issue comes up especially when the battery is has a lower percentage than 40%.

I don't suggest people to leave data on their computers. As data may be stolen. Software like FileVault wouldn't be required if data isn't stored on computers. If the computer is hacked, or attacked by malware, a clean installation of the OS would solve the issue.

8. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

isn't "clean my mac" adware?

at one point i couldn't even open finder without having that garbage software ad pop up on my screen.

9. aquilc macrumors member

Adware is software which displays ads when opened.

There is other software which installs unwanted add-ons (Like Internet Browser toolbars etc.) I was referring to this type of software.

10. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

I'm running FileVault on my 2014 rMBP and have no issues with it starting up, shutting down, sleeping etc regardless of battery remaining. I've had it shut down OK at 3% battery several times.

Also, CleanMyMac isn't AdWare. I've been using it on several Macs since 2011 and never had an Ad from it, or an issue with it.

11. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Good luck with that, I can't conceive how a Mac can be remotely useful without some user data on it.

----------

Firstly I doubt even with a bare OS install it was ever quite just 1 second but even if shutting down after presumably you have been running some apps means the cleanup activities is 33 secs really a problem?

Mine with an SSD will be about that time to shutdown, it isn't remotely a problem as 99% of the time I just shut the lid and let it sleep, it doesn't need to be shutdown whenever you are not using it.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

How will I edit my images, or updates my spreadsheets if my data is not on my computer. :eek:

I have a computer to do things, its counter productive not to put anything on it.

13. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

The idea of disabling total disk encryption is not a good one IMO. Whilst it may cause some issues, disk encryption is essential if the laptop is being used as such (for computing on the move), and as for not having any data at all on the computer, that is the most ridiculous idea I have seen in a very long time.

The whole point of a computer is data processing. Indeed the very first name for what is known today as the IS or IT department in businesses was Data Processing.

If for whatever reason you're away from an internet connection (on a plane perhaps) and you want to get work done, then you need data on your computer. Yet the airport is one of the most likely places for a computer to be lost of stolen.

Personally I see nothing wrong with the OP's computer. 30 odd seconds is fine from a shutdown point of view (it is about how long my rMBP takes), as long as the computer is working at normal speed when it is booted up, then all is well. If the OP wants quicker times, then shut the lid and put it to sleep. The power consumption is negligible with the computer asleep.

14. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Keep your data in iFog maybe? :D

15. ultimax66 thread starter macrumors newbie

To confirm a few things. It used to be 1 second, this wasn't an exaggeration. I clicked shutdown and the Macbook immediately powered off, similar to how quickly it sleeps.

I am indeed quitting apps, not just closing them.

The reason closing the lid isn't an option is because I use an external monitor and when I close the lid, it makes the monitor the main display. Some sort of clamshell mode or something I've read about.

33 seconds may not well seem like a problem to some people, it is to me... it bugs me! Especially since it used to be 1 second.

FileVault is indeed disabled. I have no need for encryption.

So... No one has any idea or things to try to sort out slow shutdowns?

16. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

A lot of people were complaining about shut down times with Mavericks. And a lot of people were never able to pinpoint the specific culprit.

If you use your computer at home, why is it so bothersome to you? Click the shut down option and walk away.

If this is at work etc., same situation applies.

Most of the time, it takes anywhere from 20 - 30 seconds for my MBP to shut off. I don't remember this happening in 10.10. In the grand scheme of things, it isn't an issue, as my MBP is working as it should.

If this were a real technical issue and it was a matter of being able to properly use your computer, you might see some more replies. Given that it is simply a matter of you being anal retentive about a meaningless matter, why would you keep looking for others to get caught up in your being bothered in such a manner?

17. ultimax66 thread starter macrumors newbie

It's bothersome to me because I have anal retentiveness. Isn't that what Apple is all about, striving for perfection and spending years on developments to make things "just so" and "perfect" and have things "just work". Regardless if it bothers you or not. It bothers me! I'd like a solution to what is obviously a problem as it never used to happen.

Again.. I wish it didn't bother me, but it does :)

18. BasicGreatGuy, Jan 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2015

BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

It bothers you, because you are choosing to make a grain of sand into the Sahara Desert.

Why don't you take your Mac to Apple and have the Genius Bar look at it, and see what they have to say? That would be the most logical thing to do.

Apple has never promised a perfect OS.

19. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

Can you go back to Mavericks?

10.9.5 is still getting security updates so I would revert back to it.

20. ultimax66 thread starter macrumors newbie

I think this thread is bothering you :p I thought I had issues lol.

----------

I've became a bit accustomed to Yosemite to be honest. I'll probably just do a fresh install. Thanks for the tip though :)

21. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I am not bothered at all. I am merely showing you how trivial it really is.

22. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Tbh, I'd not worry about it. You're doing things to the computer that increase the risk, i.e., turning off Fileavault in the name of shaving a few seconds off the shutdown sequence. Personally, I don't shut my MBP down anyways. Just put it to sleep and problem solved.

23. boabmatic macrumors member

boabmatic

Have you recently tried to install , fuse For Mac/NTFS-3G to enable 3rd party NTFS write access?

I've been having slow shutdown times since Mavericks and continued into yosemite.

Just found the issue was due to this software, once I removed them my shutdown time was back to 1 second.

I tried installing the Paragon NTFS trial version and this gives the write access but maintains the quick shutdown times (costs $20 for the full version compared to free for the fuse/NTFS-3G option)