Shutdown When Inactive

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Stormbringer, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Stormbringer macrumors regular

It's not seldom that I go to sleep but my Mac is still downloading for one or two hours, or Time Machine is backing up wirelessly.

I remember I've seen the ability "shutdown when ready" in a (very) few apps (could be Windows :p), but isn't there some general function for it?

2. illegallydead macrumors 6502a

illegallydead

Ya, that's mostly Windows applications that I have seen that in.

Not sure if there is an elegant way to do this, but I am sure that you could write an Applescript that would shut down your computer (once the app is activated) when your computer becomes inactive.
    I know there is a way to keep track of this within OSX itself, since OSX will put the display on my laptop to sleep after being inactive for x number of minutes... This would be something that I would be interested in too... Anyone have a nice solution?

3. Stormbringer thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, but putting the display to sleep is different I think. In that case, "inactive" is that you haven't typed or moved the mouse for some time. So if you are moving files or are downloading something, but are away (don't do anything on your computer), the display still goes to sleep.

So it has to look at the activity of the apps.

I don't know, maybe what I'm asking is impossible...:rolleyes:

4. illegallydead macrumors 6502a

illegallydead

ya, all I was saying is that there are certainly frameworks within OSX that track activity, to some degree. I doubt that this is impossible, but it may be a little trickier without said commands built into the programs like they are in some Windows apps...

5. DavieBoy macrumors 6502

DavieBoy

I have been looking for a way to shut down my computer if inactive for a certain period of time.

If the computer knows to go to sleep if inactive for 3 hours shouldn't it be possible to shut down.

I work for a school with over 500 iMacs in different classrooms and some go unused for days or weeks at a time. I wish I could shut them down and save the electricity. (for environmental purposes and not because I care about the school budget, ha)

Also, I have a Mac Mini as a media center in my living room and I would like it to do the same thing to save electricity. (for environmental purposes and to help with my electric bill, Ha again)