Shutdown with the power button

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macstatic, Aug 21, 2014.

1. macstatic macrumors 6502a

I've recently bought a mid-2012 Macbook Pro but I find it strange that I can't turn it off by pressing the power button. With my old Powerbook I could do that.

I can however turn it on by pressing the power button, likewise can I put it to sleep by pressing the button briefly, so the button itself seems to be fine. Is there a hidden setting for this somewhere? I'm running OSX 10.9.4.

2. SarcasticJoe macrumors 6502a

SarcasticJoe

Are you sure you've pressed the button for long enough?

Never had to do that on my early 2011 machine, but the 2007 machine I had before that shut down just fine when you pressed and helf the button long enough.

3. macstatic thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't want to do a forced shutdown (at least that's what pressing it down for several seconds on my Powerbook did), but a regular shutdown like in the Apple menu.
    On my Powerbook, when pressing it briefly I got the "Are you sure you want to shut down your computer now?" and I could press RETURN to shut it down.
    I think a very brief press made the Powerbook go to sleep. I haven't quite figured out the Macbook Pro yet as it seems to be different.

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

In Mavericks, pressing the power button does nothing, pressing it down for a bit longer puts it into sleep, and pressing it down for several seconds causes a forced shutdown.

The power button does not bring up the prompt anymore.

5. macstatic thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for clearing that up.
    I've always preferred keyboard shortcuts to the mouse. Are there modifications, tweaks, hacks or add-on apps that allow you to get that feature back?
    Anyone know how this will work in Yosemite?

6. chabig macrumors 68040

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5869

- Tap the power button once to put your Mac to sleep.
    - Tap the power button again to wake your Mac.
    - Press and hold the power button for 1.5 to 2 seconds to see additional options.
    - If your keyboard includes a Media Eject key (eject symbol), you can also access this shut down dialog by pressing the Control and Media Eject keys simultaneously. If your Mac doesn't have a Media Eject key, hold down the Control key and tap the power button once to bring up the same dialog
    - Hold down the power button for 5 seconds to force the computer to turn off.

7. macstatic thread starter macrumors 6502a

You're completely right!
    The trick is to press and hold the power button until the "do you want to shut down?" etc options come up, then let go. I assume that keeping the button pressed down after that message has popped up will continue with a forced power off.

8. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68020

PBG4 Dude

CTRL+Power button brings up the shutdown/sleep/restart menu instantly, like it used to come up.

I believe this change has been in effect since Mountain Lion.

9. macstatic thread starter macrumors 6502a