Shuts down when not plugged in: MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mec279, Jan 18, 2010.

1. mec279 macrumors newbie

I have a 1-2 year old MacBook Pro. It has had no problems in the past, but recently, whenever I unplug the laptop and try to run it on battery power alone, the laptop shuts down after a few minutes. The battery power is still above 80% when the laptop "dies."

Is this a problem with the battery, or the laptop itself? Any advice is welcome!

mec279

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Probably with the battery. I had the same problem with my MacBook Pro. I was able to have the battery replaced under warranty, though.

3. chstr macrumors 6502a

chstr

4. mbestel macrumors member

Check battery condition

You can check what condition the system thinks your battery is in by looking at the "System Profiler" application in Utilities.

Look at the "Power" information under Hardware.

There will be extensive information on the battery including current charge, health, etc.

Mark

5. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

The battery's replacement is dependent upon the number of cycles it has on it, AppleCare will not cover it if it is not defective and has just been used to its limit.

Edit: they will give you a new battery, but at a price (obviously)

6. dandaman2 macrumors regular

There was a bad batch of MBP batteries. Basically, they were expanding and breaking through the trackpad. This was happening to my dad not too long ago with this 3 yr old MBP - he had very little battery life for a while, which he blamed on his heavy use (he's a work-at-home coder who takes full advantage of the couch). Then, I noticed that his computer wouldn't stay flat on the table. We took it in and they said it was under a special program, even though the comp was out of warranty.