Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hieuky

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2008
hello.

my computer is acting up so weird. i have a mac mini intel and i was in the middle of working with my blogs, then there was an annoying spinning wheel of death, so normally, i would hold the power button for few button to restart and i did. then when the desktop was loading, everything was back to the "new" desktop with alot of stuffs missing, so i restarted it again using the apple menu, then the startup screen took so long and out of nowhere, it shutted down by itself. i tried to power it on again and again, unplugged the cords, still didn't work.

now, what's going on, mang? what's the solution to this?

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Try Disk Utility from install disk. Put it in -> Hold C while booting -> Utilities -> Disk Utility -> Fix or Check

It could be and hopefully is a failed HD

zmttoxics

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2008
Try Disk Utility from install disk. Put it in -> Hold C while booting -> Utilities -> Disk Utility -> Fix or Check

It could be and hopefully is a failed HD

*Hopefully*, haha. Yeah, I guess its better a bad hard drive then a bad logic board.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
*Hopefully*, haha. Yeah, I guess its better a bad hard drive then a bad logic bored.

That's what I meant :cool: HD failure is minor compared to logic board failure. Of course it's the same for OP if he's under warranty but if he isn't, there's hundreds of $ as a stake.

ewilson6

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2006
After you get it running install smart reporter, this program will tell you when your hd is going to crash just by looking at the icon on your finder.

hieuky

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2008
hii. thank you for your replies.

unforunately, i don't have a stock install disk. however, my brother gave me the burnt cd one of it, so i inserted it in the comp, then did as you said. theeeeen, nope. the comp just keeps shutting down. i also don't have an apple keyboard, so does that basically sums up that pressing the c key while booting actually does not work?

oh, mang. is there any other solution?

geoffreak

macrumors 68020
Feb 8, 2008
As long as you have a USB keyboard, the C key will work.
If your computer isn't booting up, your logic board may be fried. You may want to pop in your stock HD and run to the Apple store for a fix.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
hii. thank you for your replies.

unforunately, i don't have a stock install disk. however, my brother gave me the burnt cd one of it, so i inserted it in the comp, then did as you said. theeeeen, nope. the comp just keeps shutting down. i also don't have an apple keyboard, so does that basically sums up that pressing the c key while booting actually does not work?

oh, mang. is there any other solution?

Call to Apple. There's no "home solutions" left. No you can only hope that you still have warranty left because logic board replacements are ~1000$. It's not hard drive failure because you should be able to boot from DVD or just hang on loading screen. It's power supply or logic board

zmttoxics

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2008
You could try the ALT key. Remember that you need to hold this key from power on until you see the menu show up (ALT = disk selection menu).

hieuky

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2008
ahh, those two still don't work. it's okay, i've decided to not care about it anymore now since i'll be buying a new laptop instead. the computer is old anyways, and i needed a new one.

anyhow, thank you very much for your help! :]

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.