shuts off in the middle of loading screen

Discussion in 'iMac' started by hieuky, Jul 6, 2009.

1. hieuky macrumors member

hello.

my computer is acting up so weird. i have a mac mini intel and i was in the middle of working with my blogs, then there was an annoying spinning wheel of death, so normally, i would hold the power button for few button to restart and i did. then when the desktop was loading, everything was back to the "new" desktop with alot of stuffs missing, so i restarted it again using the apple menu, then the startup screen took so long and out of nowhere, it shutted down by itself. i tried to power it on again and again, unplugged the cords, still didn't work.

now, what's going on, mang? what's the solution to this?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Try Disk Utility from install disk. Put it in -> Hold C while booting -> Utilities -> Disk Utility -> Fix or Check

It could be and hopefully is a failed HD

3. zmttoxics macrumors 65816

zmttoxics

*Hopefully*, haha. Yeah, I guess its better a bad hard drive then a bad logic board.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

That's what I meant :cool: HD failure is minor compared to logic board failure. Of course it's the same for OP if he's under warranty but if he isn't, there's hundreds of $ as a stake.

5. ewilson6 macrumors 6502

After you get it running install smart reporter, this program will tell you when your hd is going to crash just by looking at the icon on your finder.

6. hieuky thread starter macrumors member

hii. thank you for your replies.

unforunately, i don't have a stock install disk. however, my brother gave me the burnt cd one of it, so i inserted it in the comp, then did as you said. theeeeen, nope. the comp just keeps shutting down. i also don't have an apple keyboard, so does that basically sums up that pressing the c key while booting actually does not work?

oh, mang. is there any other solution?

7. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

As long as you have a USB keyboard, the C key will work.
    If your computer isn't booting up, your logic board may be fried. You may want to pop in your stock HD and run to the Apple store for a fix.

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Call to Apple. There's no "home solutions" left. No you can only hope that you still have warranty left because logic board replacements are ~1000$. It's not hard drive failure because you should be able to boot from DVD or just hang on loading screen. It's power supply or logic board

9. zmttoxics macrumors 65816

zmttoxics

You could try the ALT key. Remember that you need to hold this key from power on until you see the menu show up (ALT = disk selection menu).

10. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Try shift as well, it will boot into safe mode

11. hieuky thread starter macrumors member

ahh, those two still don't work. it's okay, i've decided to not care about it anymore now since i'll be buying a new laptop instead. the computer is old anyways, and i needed a new one.

anyhow, thank you very much for your help! :]

12. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak