Shutting down Time Capsule

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by iphonetravel, Mar 11, 2008.

1. iphonetravel macrumors member

Finally got my shiny new Time Capsule. Seems quite good especially in 802.1a/n mode although I wish my iPhone could use the 5Ghz band.

Anyhow...... back to the question I wanted to field.

Does anyone know the best way to turn off a Time Capsule?

When I am not using the internet, I generally turn off both my ADSL modem as well as my wireless network. Time capsule however is a special device as it contains a HD unlike my previous Airport Extreme.

Anyone know what the best procedure to follow to ensure TC shuts down gracefully, parks it's heads etc. I really don't want to be in a position where I cause any damage to any data it's meant to be keeping for me so advice would be much appreciated.

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Eject it from your desktop then pull the plug. However, there is no reason to disconnet you internet or network since the TC has a build in Firewall, as do most DSL modems, and more often than not, the power saved by shutting down those systems is negated by the power draw to start them back up.

TEG

3. iphonetravel thread starter macrumors member

In my case the Internet as a whole (ADSL modem, tiscali tv, TC etc) is only on a few hours each day so definitely worth switching it all off. That's some 100-150 Watts right there.