Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacbookAlex

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 25, 2017
London, UK
Hi all,

Recently my mid 2011 MBA 13" has been acting strangely- when i close the lid to get it to sleep, I go away and come back later(more than 10 mins aprox) and when i lift the lid on my return, without me having to press anything, the mac immediately boots up like it has shut down. It behaves just like the touch bar macbook pros ha ha! :D

When I log in, all apps have been shut, so in other words, it doesn't reappear with a lll my stuff i have been working on like i left it.

As much as I like imagining that it is a brand new touch bar MBP that boots up as soon as you lift the lid, this is beginning to get irritating, because it means that i can not simply lift the lid and get back to what i was doing before i closed the lid and went away.

This has been happening on both yosemite and mavericks, but has only started for the first time abut 1 week ago, before 1 week ago i began to experience the odd shut down due to kernel panics but that was rare. This problem is happening every time i shut the lid and leave it for more than about 10 mins.

Have tried SMC, PRAM/NVRAM reset, but in vain. Also recently got a new battery in it from Ifixit.

really need some help to try to stop it doing this.

Thanks everyone,

Alex

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
I'm curious about a couple of things. First, my daughter's 2016 13 TB MBP would restart after closing the id for a few minutes. The Apple Store insisted this was "normal," with a comical variety of reasons (example: this is to make sure the latest updates are applied). Three separate Genii insisted this was either "normal" or a software problem. When a key went bad, it had to be sent of to depot repair, which also found bent pins on the logic board, and replaced it. Restart problem solved.
Second, my 2013 15 MBP has recently self-rebooted a few times over the past 6 weeks. In one case I believe it was a Firefox memory leak, but no idea on the other 2. Never did this before. Latest OS.

Did the restarts happen after the battery replacement?

MacbookAlex

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 25, 2017
London, UK
That's an old laptop. Maybe it's dying
Please don't say that!:eek: Am leaving for a couple of months abroad tomorrow and of all my MacBooks have taken the Air for portability. I pray it is not dying. Everything else runs fine. I can play intensive games on it on low settings and it performs like a champ. Have kept it mint, the other day was looking inside the fan and there was not even any dust in there having never had it cleaned. Surely the mac is still going strong? But thanks for the reply.

Alex

MacbookAlex

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 25, 2017
London, UK
I'm curious about a couple of things. First, my daughter's 2016 13 TB MBP would restart after closing the id for a few minutes. The Apple Store insisted this was "normal," with a comical variety of reasons (example: this is to make sure the latest updates are applied). Three separate Genii insisted this was either "normal" or a software problem. When a key went bad, it had to be sent of to depot repair, which also found bent pins on the logic board, and replaced it. Restart problem solved.
Second, my 2013 15 MBP has recently self-rebooted a few times over the past 6 weeks. In one case I believe it was a Firefox memory leak, but no idea on the other 2. Never did this before. Latest OS.

Did the restarts happen after the battery replacement?
Now come to think of it, I believe that they did start after the battery replacement. I too have a 15" retina MBP and it has rebooted once or twice since i got it, but the Air is rebooting every time. Have run Apple hardware test, so that would rule out anything wrong with the Logic board, in fact I had the battery installed a couple of weeks ago by an authorised service provider so surely he would have seen faults on the logic board? Perhaps it is trying in vain to install some kind of updates but it fails each time so it just tries again. I should add that his happens on battery power not when plugged in.

Alex

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
Any chance you can get it back to the shop that did the installation before you leave? Otherwise, save early and often.

MacbookAlex

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 25, 2017
London, UK
Just to say, the problem has stopped now that i have upgraded to yosemite. Unfortunately my battery life is pretty much halved, though.:eek:

Alex

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.