Shutting down with multiple users active

Discussion in 'macOS' started by RedRaven571, Apr 16, 2009.

1. RedRaven571 macrumors 65816

RedRaven571

I enabled the Mac equivalent to fast user switching (allows more than 1 profile to be logged in); when I want to shut down the system I get box that says other people are signed on, if you want to shut down, enter user name and password. The problem is that no matter which user id/password combo I put in, it is not recognized; not even either of the admin users. any ideas?

Thanks.

2. cawesjmu macrumors 6502

Did you try first and last name and not user id name?

3. RedRaven571 thread starter macrumors 65816

RedRaven571

The users on the Mac are identified as first and last name of each family member (e.g. - John Smith, Mary Smith, etc.) so that is what I tried to use, along with the associated password.

Thanks.

4. cawesjmu macrumors 6502

So you've tried typing "John Smith" and the password and that didn't work. And you've tried typing in John Smiths user name (the same as the home folder icon) and the password and neither of those for each user worked?

I assume you can get into the 2nd users account if you know the password, and you can log them out manually and then shut down. Not sure why it's not working.

Edit: Here, try this.

5. RedRaven571 thread starter macrumors 65816

RedRaven571

Thanks a million!!! I guess it's just a bug in the code, don't click "restart" just enter....

I entered an Admin ID and password and pushed enter instead of clicking on 'restart' and it shut right down!

Thanks again!