Shutting Down

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Racerdog55, Sep 15, 2007.

1. Racerdog55 macrumors member

I'm have trouble getting my Mac Pro to shut down. I use the apple in the top left corner and click on shut down, are reset, and nothing happens, the only way to shut it down is by using the power button. Any ideas for a cure would be welcome.
    David

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

What are you running when you do this? Do you have any third party hardware connected? :)

3. Racerdog55 thread starter macrumors member

To the best of my knowledge there is no programs running, I have to hold the off button on the front of the computer in order to shut it down, I do have boot camp with Windows XP on a separate hard drive.
    Thanks for the reply

4. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

How long are you waiting after you have selected "shut down" from the apple menu before you use the power button?

I also questioned this as it takes between 20 and 30 seconds for the shut down dialogue window to appear after i have selected "shut down" from apple menu.

I have been told it is due the fact i have more than one internal hard drive, 3 in total, so there are more things being done before shutting off.

Try selecting "shut down" and then wait to see if the dialogue box appears

5. Racerdog55 thread starter macrumors member

Comparing the time it took before this started occurring is longer. It was working fine the day before it started, I do have 3 HD in the tower. I will give it a little longer and report back,
    Thanks for the reply

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Unless you're using the other drives it shouldn't add terribly much time to the shut down procedure... Maybe open Activity Monitor in the Utilities folder and check All Processes. Is there anything here that's using up a bit of your CPU cycles? :)

7. Racerdog55 thread starter macrumors member

Well today I called Apple support and after 45 min. trying all sort of remidies with no luck they suggested I bring the Mac Pro in for service, what I ended up doing was a complete restore of the OS x. so far it is working fine.
    thanks to all that replied.