Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

goose61

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2019
Was wondering if shutting down a MacBook Air while the fans were running would damage it. I had been been playing a game for awhile (too long) and not paying attention, assumed the fan sounds were part of the game's sound effects. Anyway, when I stopped playing the game, the noise continued, and that's when I realized it was indeed the fans and not the sound effects I was hearing. Unfortunately, not thinking, I ended up shutting down the computer while the fans were were still cycling.

Therefore, I was wondering - By shutting down the computer before the cooling process was completed, could I have damaged it? I realize Macs have all sorts of built-in safeguards to prevent you from doing any physical damage to them, but was worried in this case that I might have done something wrong by not letting it cool down completely before shutting it off.

Last edited:

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
No, modern Intel processors have safeguards to prevent damage. The processor will survive catastrophic cooling failure (e.g. sudden removal of heatsink).

madgibbon

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2013
These safeguards are irreverent, since you've shut the machine down the components will stop producing heat. At this point it will cool down naturally fairly quickly, no need to worry about damage.

Reactions: David G.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.