Shutting off Sleep mode while Lid is closed?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Dammit Cubs, Nov 27, 2007.

1. Dammit Cubs macrumors 68000

Dammit Cubs

Hey guys,

I tried looking all over the internet for this and here. Does any know how to disable the macbook or macbookpro from going into sleep more when the lid is closed. I have my macbook hooked up to a monitor and I don't want to keep my computer lid closed as I have a keyboard and mouse ready to be used.

I like treating my computer like a desktop until I need to move it.

Thanks.

2. 119576 Guest

If you want to keep the laptop closed whilst using it on your desk; Close the lid. Plug in the display, keyboard and mouse in. Press a key on the keyboard and your laptop will come out of sleep mode.

Alternatively, if you want to use the laptop display sporadically in addition to the external InsomniaX

3. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

just turn your screen brightness down to zero using the brightness function key and leave the lid open. It's quicker and easier.

4. Dammit Cubs thread starter macrumors 68000

Dammit Cubs

its easier, but my screen is 1440 x 900.

in order to show the dock, you need to do mirror mode. which means both systems need the same resolution, that means that my monitor will be downgraded to 1280 x 800. so all the font looks fuzzy

5. Dammit Cubs thread starter macrumors 68000

Dammit Cubs

Thank you very much. You have no clue how happy that made me.

thanks again.

6. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

I believe all you have to do to put the dock on the 2nd display is to change the order of the displays in your display prefs so that your 2nd monitor is used as the Mac's main monitor. That makes it put the menu bar and dock on the 2nd display instead of on the built in screen.