Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
njmac said:
Just found this (somewhat related, but not really ;)): Link to the speach that Nixon was to give to the country if the moon mission failed. Pretty creepy.
Wow. Though saddening (if they had needed to be read), those are a fantastic part of history now. Very interesting, thanks.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I was very pleased to hear the good news this morning when I woke up. Hopefully NASA has learned a lot to assist with future and safer missions. Many prayers have been answered.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
gwuMACaddict said:
good grief Don'tHurtMe, not even happy that they made it back ok? :confused:
You spun my words, read the first sentence of my post and i still stand by my shuttle comments. 1 Million extra tax dollars to land elsewhere. Nothing like Govt spending. Heck we are all money trees for govt anyway.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Dont Hurt Me said:
Glad they are home but now its going to cost us a million bucks to fly the pork barrell never takes off on schedule shuttle back to Florida for some more pork. Shuttle has so many things to go wrong its amazing they all had not blown up. Replace the PIG with something that works. Couldnt even land in Florida. This complex monstrosity did prove that no matter how many billions you throw at shuttle in the end its still just a shuttle.

Hey, come on. I understand completely. I didn't want to return to Floriduh either. :D California is a much better destination. I'm glad they've returned safely.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
Dont Hurt Me said:
Glad they are home but now its going to cost us a million bucks to fly the pork barrell never takes off on schedule shuttle back to Florida for some more pork. Shuttle has so many things to go wrong its amazing they all had not blown up. Replace the PIG with something that works. Couldnt even land in Florida. This complex monstrosity did prove that no matter how many billions you throw at shuttle in the end its still just a shuttle.

Oh yeah, a shuttle is a POS because it can't land with the runway totally covered with clouds. If they returned to Florida with the runway is not visible they are taking a huge gamble. The Shuttle is a glider when it returns. Once they get below cloud level, they could be way to low, too high, missed the runway, or fall to short of the runway. I would rather spend my tax money to make sure the shuttle can land safely. The shuttle is a complex machine. I think it is lucky that it only has one problem at all. I hope the replacement is a winged vehicle like the shuttle. By making it take off like a normal plane, you increase the safety and reliability of the vehicle since it doesn't have the fuel tank and worry about foam. I also hope the replacement can do what the shuttle can do, but better. They can't just design an Apollo like vehicle. It would limit the capability of the vehicle by a lot. No more fixing the replacement of Hubble, no more getting parts to the station and only the Russians do it. I see a more advanced winged vehicle the best option once again. Also, the shuttle can get to a higher orbit if it wanted to. It just need more powerful engines to get it there. You know there is a risk if they land in the ocean? What if the floats don't inflate? The vehicle sinks like a rock to the bottom. I hope the replacement doesn't have to land in the ocean.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
sure im glad that they are alright, thats great news, however, the shuttle missions have simply become a roll of the dice to see if people make it to space and back home - one big gamble.... where is the science now?

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
Looks like the next Shuttle flight has been moved back to March 2006, at this rate the ISS will be complete in the year 2050 :eek: beam me up Spock! What a pork barrel pig burning billions doing nothing on the ground, we can do better then this. So we get 1 shuttle flight every year?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.