SIAP, Why ONLY link band with space gray SS?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Casey05, Apr 2, 2015.

1. Casey05 macrumors newbie

The stainless steel space gray option is my favorite choice by a good margin. Why is the only option to pair it with the most expensive band, making it so much more costly?

Just seems odd to me to not have the same options as the silver

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

We get this question like once every other day.

The problem though is they didn't bother to make any other truly compatible bands for the Space Black.

3. Multiverse223 macrumors regular

Oh please. Anyone in their right mind knows that the sport black band is 100% compatible with it. The only justifiable reason would be that they didn't want to make as many DLC watches or it was a tougher manufacturing process.

4. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Not truly 100% compatible as the pin is Space Gray rather than Space Black and if you know Apple, you'd know they are pretty fanatical when it comes to attention to detail.

5. eoblaed macrumors 65816

eoblaed

Entirely untrue.

I'm getting the black SS and a black sport band; the link bracelet will just sit in my drawer.

6. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Entirely untrue for most people but certainly not for Apple.

7. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

8. AFDoc macrumors 68030

Oh don't do that....I'll swap you a black sports band for it..... Hit me up ;)

9. Multiverse223 macrumors regular

Just sell the link bracelet on eBay. They don't sell it individually so you could get at the very least, what it's worth. $450-$500. So about $100 after eBay fees.

10. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

The market for this bracelet will likely be very small since the people who will want it will already have one. Might be better off saving it for resale value for when you upgrade.

11. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

But then why does the Sport band with the Sport watch use shiny stainless steel pins which clearly don't match the watch?

The black Sport band is perfectly compatible with the Space Black watch - Apple just want to make more money out of it.

12. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It's not shiny but circular brushed as pictured below:

[​IMG]

The Space Gray color won't be the same as Space Black so not good enough in Apple's eye, but yes, I agree it's compatible and will still look good. You just can't make the argument that it's perfectly compatible because of the color difference.

Except many here won't hesitate to go for mismatched bands. The Milanese Loop (with polished chrome connectors) on the Sport, standard SS link bracelet on the Sport, etc. I'm sure there's someone out there who will buy it for their Space Gray Sport despite the mismatch. Or even the standard SS case for the "two-tone" look. Who knows?

13. DreamPod macrumors 65816

DreamPod

The leather bands have no mismatch, because their connectors disappear into the watch

14. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

That's only true for the Leather Loop. All other leather bands have the polished chrome connectors. However, the Leather Loop still has standard SS accent on the loop through so not a 100% match with Space Black and thus not good enough for Apple.

[​IMG]

15. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

you do know that apple makes two versions of the black sports band that are sold as accessories....

link

Attached Files:

16. scwinsett macrumors 6502a

scwinsett

I feel like youre trying to imply that you have some connection to apple

----------

Jay Lenochini seems to be spouting BS

17. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

No, it's a fact that there are no other truly/100%/perfectly compatible bands for Space Black other than the Space Black link bracelet.

The black Sport band on the Space Gray model has the stainless steel pin in Space Gray. This is not the same color as Space Black.

The Leather Loop has standard SS accent on the loop through. This is not the same color as Space Black.

It's not my fault that Apple is fanatical about those things, but hopefully they'll come out with more compatible bands (in Apple's eye) for Space Black in the future, especially once the novelty has worn off.

18. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Yes I do, I was simply saying that if Apple was really that obsessive, they'd make bands with a matte-finished pin.

For the record, I think the band with the Space Grey pin would look absolutely fine with the Space Black watch.

19. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It IS sort of matte as it's circular brushed (see post #12). Much like how the link bracelet is brushed but nowhere near as shiny as the polished chrome case.

20. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

OK, so if they were that obsessive the one for the SS watch would be shiny :p

I think you can see my point.

21. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I thought the same too. However, a member pointed out that it's common for link bracelets to be brushed to make scratches stand out less.