sick and tired of mbp's superdrive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pellebee, Oct 1, 2008.

1. pellebee macrumors member

I had a powerbook g3 now a mbp and both drives screw up! Everytime i try to burn a cd or dvd it just doesn't work. Burning a cd in itunes takes at least 5 tries. Burning files onto a dvd just doesn't work. Either "laser failure" or with a dvd "just failed".

Why do macs have this problem sooo many times. I have friends with other macs like g5's and imacs that have this problem, what is mac doing!

thanks

2. pointycollars macrumors regular

For some reason the optical drive has always been the crappiest part of Apple's laptops. They have been using the same brand, Matshita, (and probably a relatively similar model) of drives for years.

I owned a PB G4 (titanium) that I purchased in 2002, and it always had CD drive issues. The drive was noisy, and after a while it refused to recognize blank CD's, so it was pretty much useless except for ripping music CD's. The optical drive on my MBP errors on writing a CD probably 40% of the time. When I'm burning a mix, I always have to make sure I have two CDs - the first one errors and the second one burns just fine :)

They just seem to cut costs in that area more than other places.

3. pellebee thread starter macrumors member

Im thinking, is it worth turning my computer in? I am in sweden and they always send them to the netherlands for repair so it can take a while. I mean I can always burn a dvd or cd somewhere else, but thats not the point, apple ought fix this problem with their drives!

My MBP now is 2.33 ghz intel 2 duo
    3 gb 667 ddr2 sdram

and matchita uj-857d
    again matSHITa!

ha

4. bsheridan macrumors 6502

bsheridan

Must be in the name

:D

5. Nde macrumors 6502a

Nde

I have similar problem burning things on my MBP. I never try iTunes but with my other burnable apps, I lower the burn speed to 2x. It works alot better.

Good luck.

6. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride

Never had any problems with the superdrive on any of the 3 macs I've owned...*shrug*

7. pointycollars macrumors regular

Actually that's exactly what I did to eventually fix the problem. Shouldn't have to be that way, though :(

8. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Try writing your DVDs and Cds at lower speeds. For example, write DVDs at 2x.

9. pellebee thread starter macrumors member

i totally agree! whats the point, we all paid thousands for it to work the way it should, i just dont understand apple sometimes...

10. MatLane macrumors 6502a

MatLane

Agreed!

This should not be happening, especially how much you pay for Apple Mac.

I have heard a few people who own the new iMacs and other macs that have told me there drive is malfunctioning.

It's strange. Mabie you should contact Apple about the issue, that needs to be sorted out eh!

All the best

Mat

11. MatLane macrumors 6502a

MatLane

Just remembered that actually

Try to do that, i can remember having to try that with my PC's drive with iTunes because if kept failing to burn

Might help it

12. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0