Sick of Aftermarket Batteries

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by bunnspecial, Dec 26, 2014.

1. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I've just had my second aftermarket battery die in the past month.

The first was the one in my white Macbook. It was in the computer when I bought it, and was nearly brand new(2 or 3 cycles). I'd always had issues with it-namely the computer randomly shutting off when running off the battery-but after about 25 cycles it got to the point where it would no longer charge. I replaced it with a gently used(6 cycles) OEM battery that has worked perfectly.

Just in the past few days, the aftermarket battery in my DLSD Powerbook has decided to give up the ghost. It's not completely dead, but will only charge up to about 25% and stall there-the computer still indicates charging, but even overnight it will not move beyond there. This battery has probably 30 cycles.

The aftermarket batteries also never live up to their stated capacities.

Since OEM batteries aren't really an option anymore for Powerbooks, does anyone have any suggestions for brands that at least won't die after after relatively little time? My 12" Powerbook came with a pair of NewerTech batteries, which are what OWC sells, and they seem to work well...I guess I may need to just bit the bullet and pay $85 for one for my DLSD

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/apple_laptop/batteries/PowerBook_G4_15_AL

2. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

I'm using a sketchy $15 Chinese battery in my PowerBook (complete with misspelled directions leaflet) and it has been perfectly fine. I've used it constantly since May and it still holds the same charge. I believe the brand was Mayday Technologies or something like that.

3. DaKKs macrumors 6502

Sounds ominous...

That said. I've had a lot of luck with aftermarket batteries. Only one crapped out on me and it lasted 3 years. Which i find perfectly acceptable.

4. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

Thanks for the recommendation, my Powerbook G4's battery holds about 34Min's worth of charge.
    My friend bought an aftermarket for his MacBook (white) which ended up frying his machine.

5. RedCroissant Suspended

I always go with either OEM products or stuff from OWC. I got a NewerTech battery for a 14" iBook G4 and it worked wonders compared to the new aftermarket/third party battery I bought that made it act crazy. Even though it's more expensive, go with the one from NewerTech. It will last longer and most likely end up costing less than the other ones out there just seeking profit off of advertised Mac compatibility.

6. Richdmoore macrumors 68000

Richdmoore

Thanks. I am looking at getting either an old stock Apple battery, or an OWC battery for a 2009 Macbook Pro. While I know it is intel and not PPC, the information is useful to figure out which way to go.

7. AlecZ macrumors 65816

AlecZ

That's about the crap-out rate of a real MacBook battery anyway.