Sick Of Getting Beach Balls On My MBP!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by andrew8404, Sep 8, 2009.

1. andrew8404 macrumors regular

Okay, I've been reading numerous forums about this but this is getting old! I have a new 13' MBP and every since I got it a month ago my computer loves to freeze up while I'm using Safari and listening to iTunes. It happens every few minutes and it's soooo anoyning! Has anyone had any luck with this? Is this from the EFI Firmware 1.7 update? I thought maybe Snow Leopard would fix it after installing but no luck! So my question is has anyone else been getting this probelm and what have you done to fix it? I'm thinking about making a Genius Appt but don't know what they can do to help?

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Look in logs to see if there is something there stalling out, and also for something like mdworker in ActivityMonitor.app sucking cycles.

Or course if you install something like some outdated all-in-one drivers or something silly like Norton -- some of those will really be a crapfest for the user.

---

Though a bad HD isn't impossible either.

3. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

4. KyleB171 macrumors newbie

how about no. It's a piece of ****.

5. Jodlesx macrumors member

I had a similar issue with Safari 4, beachballing just to open or close a tab. Read somewhere on the Apple forums (google), that cleaning the Safari cache, quitting Safari and repairing permissions should help, if not, also deleting some plist files (don't remember which.. but can find the site if interested). It did (mostly) the trick for me!

6. Jodlesx macrumors member

If neither is appealing, you could try Shiretoko, an optimized version of Firefox... Personally I'm sticking to Safari mostly due to one single feature, lol, that suggestions when typing an address in the address bar comes up in the same line so I only have to hit enter, instead of tab+enter or down+enter.. lol

Shiretoko: http://www.latko.org/downloads/

7. andrew8404 thread starter macrumors regular

I started using Firefox for a while but it started happening to Firefox too. I'll try reseting the cache and repair permissions to see if that helps. I also checked out Activity Monitor and I do have mdworker being used but I can't get rid of it. What exactly is mdworker? It's not taking up a lot of memory or threads.

8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

mdworker is spotlight, when it is a backround process it is 0.1% and flips to 30% which is a lot like the first hour you had your machine -- pathetic lags.

Sometimes spotlight will stall of a bad file and keep trying to index.

Though these days Time Machine seems to be the resource pig.

---

If you look at your logs, if something keeps kicking out errors, this tends to stall the machine when the log files get really big sometimes resulting in crashes.

Lastly, a application with memory leaks is always bad and those are usually seen as swift and speedy when first logging on and always going pathetically slow about the same time period.

9. andrew8404 thread starter macrumors regular

If you look at your logs, if something keeps kicking out errors, this tends to stall the machine when the log files get really big sometimes resulting in crashes.

Lastly, a application with memory leaks is always bad and those are usually seen as swift and speedy when first logging on and always going pathetically slow about the same time period.[/QUOTE]

What exactly am I looking for in logs? Here are two pictures that I thought may be problems.

Attached Files:

10. old-wiz macrumors G3

cover stream is having trouble with its network connection.
    the log shows huge numbers of invalid connections.