Sick of having to buy windows 7 key

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by lukester, Mar 19, 2015.

1. lukester macrumors 6502

Since I purchased an OEM version of windows 7 a few years ago I have had to increase the size of my windows partition twice. The first time I did it the original program would not work so I bought a Key online.. It worked, however after some time went buy I still did not make my windows petition big enough and had to repartition again. You have to reinstall windows, unless I just did not do it right. It doesn't matter at this point, so after some months I get the dreaded you copy of windows is invalid. back screen garbage.
    Now I have to resolve this or just live with it..

How do I go about getting a copy of windows 7 64 bit, where if I decide to install it again the Key will work on boot camp?

What ever key they told me was not good enough for my needs I guess.

2. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

You can use third party apps to do that.
    Camptune by Paragon seems to be the cheapest at $20.

http://www.paragon-software.com/home/camptune/

There is a free solution:

3. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

Windows 7 keys can be used more than once (on the same hardware).
    You might just need to use the telephone registration system.
    Where did you get your Windows install media?
    To me it sounds like you're using a version that's been pre-hacktivated and the activation is either expiring or being revoked.

4. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

OEM key can only be used once.

5. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

That's obviously untrue because that would mean no one with an OEM key could ever recover from a serious crash or upgrade their hard drive. They can and they do.
    Later Windows 7 OEM keys must be installed with OEM media and are checked against manufacturer codes in the BIOS. A Mac would obviously not have this code so one of these keys could never have been successfully activated on a Mac.
    That's why I said he's using a hactivated install.

6. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

OEM keys can't be deactivated and migrated to a different machine. That is different from only being usable once, which would be completely stupid.

7. doynton macrumors 6502

Rubbish. You can buy OEM licenses - it is one of the options. OEM is for use on one set of hardware, retail channel you can move the license to new hardware. That is the only difference - nothing to do with "hacking" at all. Neither requires BIOS based key. The only difference is the price.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...78&cm_re=windows_8_oem-_-32-416-778-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...6787&cm_re=windows_8.1-_-32-416-787-_-Product

8. Wirbowsky macrumors member

OEM licences are bound to the computer the license was delivered with. You can change partitions as much as you want. You can also change hardware (adding ram...) If Windows detects that it is not activate, use the activation wizard and give a phone call to Microsoft.

Retail licences are not bound to a specific computer, you can uninstall it and install it on another computer.

9. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

Not rubbish at all.
    The one you linked is one type of OEM license.
    I described the other (which is why I said "later")
    If the OP had the one you described it would have worked on his Mac the first time and every subsequent time.
    If his is truly not working for subsequent installs then he bought the one that I described.