Sick of this problem...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kpmac99, May 13, 2019.

1. kpmac99 macrumors newbie

alright so basically, i thought i was downloading the latest safari version from the web, installed it now i cant open safari because it says i need to upgrade to sierra or mojave for it to work (which i can't do since im using a late 2012 imac which when ran on mojave it becomes very slow. im on OS X El Capitan version 10.11.6. i keep getting this pop up "SafariBookmarksSyncAgent quit unexpectedly".

i don't have time machine back up, i tried booting up in recovery mode and do a fresh install without deleting my data, but it says i need to download mojave, why cant i just download el capital again?

if there's a way to get safari back without getting super complicated id really like to know, pm your paypal and ill send ya 5 bucks, cheers.

2. casperes1996, May 13, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2019

casperes1996 macrumors 68040

casperes1996

You mention being OK with doing a fresh install, as long as it's with El Cap.

Download El Capitan from here:
    https://itunes.apple.com/app/os-x-el-capitan/id1147835434?ls=1&mt=12

Create a bootable flash drive with the downloaded installer and boot from it. Then you can reinstall El Capitan.

For the future; You never, ever need to update Safari through the internet. Safari is a system component, updated through macOS itself. That's also why a version not meant for the OS you're on causes issues. Safari relies on certain system features specific to each version. It'll be up to date if you keep your release of macOS up to date. El Capitan will likely not see a new version though, since it's no longer under official support. Under Apple's current schema operating systems going back two releases are kept up to date with security and thus also Safari releases.

3. pshufd macrumors 6502a

I didn't even know that you could install Safari separate from the OS. Good to know.

My recommendation would be to just install Firefox.

4. casperes1996 macrumors 68040

casperes1996

You aren't meant to. Safari is shipped with the OS, and is only meant to run on the OS it is shipped with. Any mismatch can cause unexpected behaviour or most of the time just Safari not starting at all