Sick of waiting, need a 300 - 400 $ device for ~3months

Discussion in 'Alternatives to Mac Hardware' started by frankgrimes, Mar 13, 2017.

1. frankgrimes macrumors 6502a

frankgrimes

Today was the point of no return, Android just isn't useful for doing office work. Had to spend 3 hours freaking hours just to edit my so called "docx" files to have the look I want in Word 2010.
    Of course like a lot of people I've decided to pass on the MBP 2016 and I'm waiting for the surface pro 5, maybe even Surface Book 2 but anyways in the meantime I've saved some budget and will now buy a cheap device to finally take notes and not worry about how the design looks on Word 2010! This has driven me insane today.

I know at this price point I shouldn't expect much and thankfully I don't need much. The only requirements are:

- Foxitreader and Office programs need to run side by side
    - keyboard should have solid travel I know I can't expect surface pro 4 like quality
    - 1366 x 766 at least as resolution
    - battery life >= 6 hours
    - must run Windows

Things I've been looking at so far:
    - Asus Transformer Book T102ha but man that keyboard looks very cramped
    - Asus E200ha - nice 11,6 inch but only 2gb of ram worries me I'll doubt thats enough to run my programs side by side flawlessy :(
    - Lenovo Miix 320 (4gb) variant - sadly no parice point and ETA for Austria

So if someone has any other suggestions they would be very welcome, I've also thought hard about buying a used one on ebay but the unsureness about the batteries makes me think that this might not be a good idea.

2. mi7chy macrumors 68040

mi7chy

3. kawalerzysta macrumors member

kawalerzysta

--- Post Merged, Mar 13, 2017 ---
    Did you thought about Surface 3 (non pro model)?

4. frankgrimes thread starter macrumors 6502a

frankgrimes

Thank you guys a lot. I've looked at the non pro model of the surface but it's around 450 euros without the keyboard.

5. mi7chy macrumors 68040

mi7chy

No comparison. Surface 3 has a weaker Atom CPU, tops out at 4GB DRAM, storage is slower eMMC and 128GB max and no LTE option.

6. frankgrimes thread starter macrumors 6502a

frankgrimes

Update found the Helix 2 for around 330 euros so I did bid on it.

7. ozaz macrumors 65816

If you don't need a tablet/2-in-1 you might also want to consider a ThinkPad X240.
    They can be bought in mint condition on eBay for about €350.
    Keyboard will be about as good as it gets for laptops made in the last few years.

8. frankgrimes thread starter macrumors 6502a

frankgrimes

Another nice suggestion thank you so much. will soon see if my bidding succeeded or not.

Also received a nice offer IdeaPad new 100s 14inch for 340 bucks so can't wait to finally work with office on the go.

And no I don't need a 2 in 1 it's nice but I'm already sick of touch screens for now of course the surface line is a different kind of beast