Sick setup needs reciever with VGA

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by supergod, Apr 4, 2008.

1. supergod macrumors 6502

hi all, I just moved into my first apartment and herees the setup ive got running.

my iMac has the miniVGA out to an epson XVGA projector, along with a wii plugged into the composite. I had an Elgato EyeTV which I had my dreamcast plugged into the computer with running in full screen (the projector has only one composite input) and things were working sick until today when the EyeTV randomly ******* out on me and started outputting static! its just over one year warranty so now I need a new way to get my dreamcast and wii fix (I know, I can just unplug one and replace)...

also, im just using the built in speakers in the mac, which sound great when its sitting on top of this metal mesh shelf from ikea (the sound seems to pass through and spread more in the room vs reflecting it off the desk for a small stereo range)

but

ive gotten word that the setup is probably deserving of some 5.1...

so, does anyone know of a reciever for under $300 that has your basics along with a VGA input AND output? (I can shop around on it pricewise wigglewise, I got my projector for under 7 and that was cest imposible)

2. supergod thread starter macrumors 6502

3. esaleris macrumors 6502

There are no AVRs that ouput VGA and convert all signals to VGA. You may check out monoprice.com and see if you have any luck with that with switchboxes. As for 5.1 sound, consider Onkyo's 5.1 home-theater-in-a-box systems. They can be found at Circuit City on sale for roughly $400-700 depending on which model you get.

Your EyeTV may have suffered the same fate as mine - it is very sensitive to lightning and will easily die if subjected to even tiny surges. A surge that slightly dimmed the lights killed both my original and replacement EyeTVs, while all my other electronics were fine. I would suggest getting a Power Protector with coax protection.