iPhone X Side button a little mushy

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Daranx, Nov 3, 2017.

1. Daranx macrumors regular

Daranx

Did a quick search and couldn’t find anything on this.

Recieved my iPhone X this morning and after some playing around I’ve noticed that the side button (lock/Siri/Apple Pay button or whatever you want to call it) isn’t uniformly clicky.

What I mean is that if I press the top of the button I get a nice tactile click but if I press the middle or lower on the button it’s quite a bit mushier without that reassuring click. It’s the same with or without a case on.

I’m hoping it’s just a case of wearing it in but has anyone else experienced this?

2. AbSoluTc macrumors 601

AbSoluTc

As with any purchase, if you're not happy, return/exchange it.

3. Zach23 macrumors regular

I am currently experiencing the same thing. I don't think I'm going to return/exchange because I'll get into a return cycle because there will never be a perfect device.

Are you going to return/exchange?

4. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

Yeah, mine has a really positive engagement and click, and that's even through a case (the actual button isn't exposed, it has a cover).

5. Zach23 macrumors regular

Would you say that it feels the same as pressing the volume buttons?

6. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

OK, sat here like a goofball clicking buttons .. :D

Extremely close, the pitch of the click sound is a touch different (as expected) and the force required seems a little higher on the volume buttons. I also pressed at different points on the power button and it feels like the tolerances are close to same across the surface.

7. Zach23 macrumors regular

Dude, I appreciate that a lot!! I've been sitting here pressing the buttons too. For me the pitches are very different. The pitch is way lower for the power button. The top sometimes doesn't even feel like a click but the middle and bottom do. Ugh, I just get so OCD with new devices, I don't know if this is worth the hassle to exchange.

8. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

OK, cool, I'm glad that helped. I thought maybe it _was_ a little inconsistent clicking at different points of the power button (since it's long, and probably has just one switch), that's why I though that would be good info for you.

It's tough to try to describe tactile feedback.

9. Zach23 macrumors regular

What would you do in mine and OP's situation?

10. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

Geez, I don't know, I seem to always get pretty good devices (no dead pixels, "clicky" buttons, no extreme display tints to cold or warm), so I'm not 100% sure what I'd do. In my ... *ahem* ... slightly older age I've become a little less worried about the small details, but I do know if something bothers me, it will continue to bother me, and I'll always wonder "Why didn't I do <whatever>" to solve it while I had the option.

11. Zach23 macrumors regular

Thanks, I appreciate the advice. In the grand scheme of things, a little less clicky button means nothing. Have a great day and enjoy your new phone!

12. orbitalpunk macrumors 6502

orbitalpunk

sleep on it. if it bothers you tomorrow then walk into an apple store and get an instant exchange. If not and its like 'Meh', then don't worry about it unless it gets worse and then you have apple care.

But if it were meeeeee, I'd exchange it. I went thru 4 apple watches to get a good so I'm kinda extreme but honestly they all had flaws I was able to photograph (with a macro lens) and send to apple.

13. Zach23 macrumors regular

Why do you think it will be instant? It was also on a contract extension so returning it isn't easy... especially in Canada

14. fmalloy macrumors 6502

I have noticed that every iPhone I buy has a different level of "clickiness". Some are more mushy than others. I like them clicky but they don't seem to be consistent...

15. macher macrumors 65816

macher

That would bother the heck out of me.

16. Daranx thread starter macrumors regular

Daranx

Thanks for the replies. It’s not a big enough issue for me to replace so I will keep it and hope it doesn’t get worse.

I found it more noticeable on the Apple leather case but using the Spigen Liquid Air it doesn’t feel as bad.

17. kellte2 macrumors regular

My power button isn’t as clicky as the volume buttons, but it still has a click and is relatively uniform. If you were really picky about it, maybe you could say the edges of the power button were clickier than the center, but that might just be perception.

Good luck on your decision.

18. MilanB macrumors newbie

Hello. I am experiencing the same "issue". I have my X for about 2 weeks and this morning I have noticed that the side button is not that clicky as the volume buttons. I am not sure if the button was like this since the day one but it is definitely a lot different click than on the volume button or the side/lock button on my previous iphones.

19. UnifiedMelody macrumors regular

UnifiedMelody

mine seems clicky af, not complaining though.
    at least you have the holiday extended return period to find the perfect one u want now [until Jan 08]

20. Daranx thread starter macrumors regular

Daranx

Mine was definitely like this since I got it and doesn't seem to have gotten any worse in the month since I got the phone, so I'm just going to deal with it until either my next upgrade date unless it gets worse.

Are you planning to send it in for a repair/replacement?

My dad got his X last week and his side button is perfect. Nice and uniformly clicky unlike mine :(

21. MilanB macrumors newbie

I’m not going to send it back since I know its kind of a long process and this is more of a cosmetic issue. If it gets broken one day I’ll take it and get it fixed but for now I’ll just stick with it. Its working perfectly fine, its very responsive and no other problems so far.

22. kellte2 macrumors regular

I set up several co-workers’ phones last week and most of the side buttons were far less clicks than the volume buttons on each device. Furthermore, there was no consistency to the clickiness of any of the devices’ buttons. Unless your phone’s buttons are malfunctioning or not clicking at all, then you are likely in the possession of a non-defective device.

23. Daranx thread starter macrumors regular

Daranx

Thanks for sharing your experience, and you're absolutely right in your last sentence.

My main concern when first noticing this was my experience with my iPhone 5 a while back and how the power button wouldn't register a click. Ultimately I got the device swapped out under warranty (I think there was a known issue at the time).

24. kellte2 macrumors regular

Same thing happened to me re: iPhone 5. I think it was more or less a silent recall on the first run phones, for those with a button issue.

25. CJM macrumors 65816

CJM

Just picked up an Apple leather case and I initially thought I had a dud button on the case. But no, I took it off and the button is definitely mushy at the lower end, and more clicky at the top. In fact, if I press the bottom of the button it doesn’t work at all. The volume buttons are perfect, however. It also seems to be a bit more pronounced once inside the case. I’ll see how I go but I might return it - a phone over £1000 should be perfect.