Side-button issues (iPhone 6)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Doshin3086, May 2, 2016.

1. Doshin3086, May 2, 2016
    Last edited: May 2, 2016

Doshin3086 macrumors newbie

Doshin3086

Hi everyone,

since a week or so, my iPhone 6 is acting weird with its volume buttons/lock button. The volume will sometimes randomly go down all the way to mute and the volume display will not go away. Then when you try to increase the volume, it will instantly go down and i have to reboot my phone to make it stop. Furthermore, the buttons will work one day but then malfunction the other day. Within the week this started occurring, nothing special has happened to the phone, it hasn't fallen, no water involved, no sand or anything.

Is this something hardware related or software related? I haven't yet resetted the phone (except for the settings, which didn't help). One sidenote: the phone is slightly bent on the side of the lock button (Pic: http://m.imgur.com/Uygyz4a), but has been for quite sometime an has never caused any problem and has not worsened over time.

What do you guys suggest to do?

Thanks in advance.

[​IMG]

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Are the buttons stuck in position?

When it started was it just random?

3. Doshin3086 thread starter macrumors newbie

Doshin3086

The buttons are fine, they click fine, no problems with them.

It started a week ago, my volume-down button stopped working and soon after that it started turning the volume down on its own. Like i said though, the button will sometimes start working again though.. It's really strange.

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

I would make a backup and then do a clean os install and see if the issue still exists. If it does then it's hardware

5. Doshin3086 thread starter macrumors newbie

Doshin3086

I guess i have to try that then, let's hope it'll do any good. Are there ways that a phone can get infected with software through the WiFi hotspot option?

6. GrumpyMom macrumors 601

GrumpyMom

Dang it, yes this happened to me a couple of years ago but I can't remember if it was my iPhone or my iPad or how it got fixed. My husband might remember and when I see him later today I'll ask him, if you haven't gotten any answers before then. I think it had something to do with the headphone jack, oddly enough. Sorry I can't be of more help than that.

7. Doshin3086 thread starter macrumors newbie

Doshin3086

Thanks for your reply, that'd be great thank you! It would make some sense if it has to do something with the headphone jack because it happens more often with my headphone plugged in. However it does occur sometimes without anything plugged in too..

8. GrumpyMom macrumors 601

GrumpyMom

Well it started with my headphones somehow but occurred even after they weren't plugged in. I do hope my husband remembers the details.

9. GrumpyMom macrumors 601

GrumpyMom

Okay I talked to my husband and not surprisingly he couldn't remember very well. He remembers that we had that issue but he doesn't remember specifically what he did to fix it. But he suggested blowing canned air into the headphone jack. He does remember the problem centered around the headphone jack and required a mechanical solution, not a software one. I'm sorry we can't be of more help but a lot has happened in the years since I got that glitch.