Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I don't know how typical this on the Series 2, but the long side button my stainless Series 2 I just received is incredibly loose. Just rolling my finger over it causes it to rattle like crazy. It's so loose that after I press it in and let go, you can hear it "rattle out" as it comes back out. I can also hear it if I shake my hand around.

I'm not sure if this a byproduct of the new waterproofing, or if this is normal. My 1st gen Apple Watch doesn't have this issue at all..

Any thoughts from other Series 2 owners?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
My Series 2 is not here yet, but my Gen 1 Stainless never had this issue. Contact Apple Care and advise them of your findings. It's not worth having further issues. Sounds to be a problem.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
My Series 2 is not here yet, but my Gen 1 Stainless never had this issue. Contact Apple Care and advise them of your findings. It's not worth having further issues. Sounds to be a problem.

Well I'd like to know for sure either way. I called Apple and they told me the stores have no stock and to get a new one means just returning mine and ordering a new one. Kind of a bummer without knowing what's what here... Hopefully someone else can chime in who has one. Cheers!

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Well I'd like to know for sure either way. I called Apple and they told me the stores have no stock and to get a new one means just returning mine and ordering a new one. Kind of a bummer without knowing what's what here... Hopefully someone else can chime in who has one. Cheers!

Honestly, if the side button seems fairly loose beyond what is considered normal play, I would send it back and have it replaced. Apple's return policy is only valid for 14 days, unless it is a manufacturer error, then you have the a one year warranty, assuming you did not purchase Apple Care for the Watch.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Honestly, if the side button seems fairly loose beyond what is considered normal play, I would send it back and have it replaced. Apple's return policy is only valid for 14 days, unless it is a manufacturer error, then you have the a one year warranty, assuming you did not purchase Apple Care for the Watch.

I do not know what is normal for a Series 2.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
That definitely seems like a defect. I would get it replaced.

I'm pretty much convinced this is true. I hear it rattling around when I shake my arm or when running. Gah. Guess it's back to waiting for a new one by placing a new order. Sigh...

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
I'm pretty much convinced this is true. I hear it rattling around when I shake my arm or when running. Gah. Guess it's back to waiting for a new one by placing a new order. Sigh...
You could keep it until stock levels have improved and then exchange it under warranty...

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
You could keep it until stock levels have improved and then exchange it under warranty...

I can't exchange it under warranty when stock levels improve. Unless the store get it in stock in the next 14 days (not happening), when they do get it in stock it will only be repaired, not replaced. I'm just going to return it.
[doublepost=1474442249][/doublepost]
My S2 has none of these symptoms. It is nice and solid. Definitely a defect.

Thanks. I figured as much. Oh well...

powerbook911

macrumors 601
Mar 15, 2005
The series 2 I received today is not a keeper due to big scratch on bezel. However, the side button is better than my series 0.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.