Side-by-side windows?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Nick16, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Nick16 macrumors regular

I'm new to the world of Macs, having only been familiar with iPhones and iPods for the past few years. Now that I have a MacBook, there's just one thing that I'm really missing from Windows 7: The snap feature that allowed me to drag one window to the left and one window to the right and they would automatically be resized to be shown side-by-side on the screen to allow for easily going back and forth.

Example:
    [​IMG]

I've found about one or two possible solutions in the App store but they're not free so I wanted to ask around before proceeding. Maybe there's a third party application that can do it... Anybody have any suggestions?

2. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

3. Flyinb macrumors member

Google and find TotalFinder buy it and you will not be disappointed.

4. AmbiguousNinja macrumors regular

AmbiguousNinja

BetterTouchTool has a Windows 7 Snap feature. It's fully customizable and free! And while you're at it, its main function is to create custom gestures. Welcome to the wonderful world of Mac! 

5. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

6. Frozzie macrumors regular

7. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

BetterSnapTool is good but Moom gives some more options and features that are really nice. It does cost a bit more, I think $4.99, but to me it was really worth it.

8. Nick16 thread starter macrumors regular

Should've waited for more replies before I went ahead and spent $6 on Cinch. It does what I was looking for and what it says it does, but that's pretty much it and there's nothing special about it. Plus, it's way overpriced for what it does... There's no justification for its cost.

I just downloaded the free BetterTouchTool and it's great already. Not only can I snap to the sides but also to each of the four corners. Plus it has functionality for custom gestures and such, which I have not yet explored.

9. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

The trial version of Cinch is the same as the paid except that from time to time a message dialog is prompted. So try it before buying it.
    During my trials I found that sometimes the Finder Window of a folder from an external Hard Drive looks empty, when in reality it has files and folders.
    I am not sure if this is due to Cinch or other Apps I am trying (X menu and many others) or Lion related.
    I will do more testing with a 'new user' to better understand what is going on.
    I will try also better touch tool.