side speakers on iPhone??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cWeems, Dec 3, 2008.

1. cWeems macrumors 6502a

cWeems

Has anyone else thought that maybe speakers on the side of the iphone would be better than the one on the bottom??

most games, and all videos watched are in landscape, and unless i have headphones on, my hand blocks the speaker and all sound when holding it.

is it just me? or does anyone else think its annoying?

2. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

Yes it can be annoying, but how aesthetically pleasing would it be to have a random hole on the side of a current iPhone design? It would look horrible, it would be something to think about on the next iPhone and completely different design.

3. cWeems thread starter macrumors 6502a

cWeems

yea true, idk how that would look.... is it possible to use the same port as the regular speaker you put it up to your ear? then it would even face the user when playing. (idk how that works though maybe its not even possible).

just have a really strong speaker, but limit the volume for calls so people dont complain about it being too loud.

4. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

Yeah, many phones do that, they have their ear speaker as the speakerphone as well. All they do is hit the speaker button and speaker phone activates - I actually had one of these, it was great when your in a loud place. You just active speakerphone and you have a super loud earpiece.

It's a nice solution to the problem you described. It will be interesting to see if they address it at all, and I wonder how common it is for people to complain about it... Most of the time when I listen to music or movies I have the phones in, so it's not a priority to me, but I'm aware of the location flaw it has.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Sorry to bump, but this was actually just bugging me over the past couple of days of enjoying Hero of Sparta... you know, even if the speaker were on the other side of the bottom (or if the iPhone were held rotated 90 degrees clockwiseso that the home button would be on the left side), that would even take care of the problem....

6. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Perhaps future iPhones will be like the iPod Touch and have no speaker hole at all. It seems to work pretty well on the iPod.

Well, almost. The trade-off is that the sound quality isn't quite as good. But it's sure loud enough and you can't block the sound with your finger since there's no hole!

7. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Is it? I wonder how loud they are when compared side by side.

8. tsice19 macrumors 6502a

tsice19

Side speakers would look awful. However, it's annoying when doing stuff. The way I hold my phone my finger often covers the speaker. So some times when I'm typing the keyboard sounds modulate up and down.

9. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

The iPod seems to be a little louder, but like I said, it's not the same quality. When they're both at 50% loudness they both sound "very good," but when turned up to 100% the iPhone sounds "good" while the iPod sounds "fair."

10. tsice19 macrumors 6502a

tsice19

I can't enjoy music on the iPhone speakers. I love music, but I'm no audiophile. However, I draw the line at 56K streaming music and iPhone speakers.

11. thechungster macrumors regular

Most of the sound is projected via the dock connector. I wouldn't mind the speaker being on the side, but when you are holding it vertically and want to play some music. Umm yeah, your hand blocks the sound

12. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

That has not been my experience. On the iPhone, covering the speaker blocks about 90% of the sound. On the iPod, covering the dock connector blocks about 5% of the sound, at most.