Side tilt browsing non functional when using Apps?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by VideoNewbie, Jun 27, 2009.

1. VideoNewbie macrumors 6502

I noticed that wen I try to use my phone horizontally during apps or wen I'm on the menu screen it doesn't work. Does the side tilt browsing function only work in safari ?

2. iLoveiPhone3GS macrumors member

Well it depends on what firmware youre running. If you have updated to 3.0, you can use the horizontal functionality in Messages, Stocks, Camera, Notes, Calculator, Mail, iPod and Safari.

3. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

As mentioned above, it's only in selected apps. For it to work in an app from the App Store, it has to actually be written into the code by the developer - there is not a universal 'tilt' mode for every iPhone app.

4. EdwardCTV macrumors newbie

What?! I'm using the 3gs and it doesn't tilt in anything outside of safari either

5. Switz213 macrumors 6502

Calculator?
    Text?
    Notes?
    Camera (little icon changes)?
    Mail?

etc.

Don't lie to us now :p

6. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

It definitely should, as it's part of 3.0. On my iPod touch I can now go into landscape mode in Stocks, Notes and Mail in addition to Music, obviously, and the Calculator (which was added in 2.0). Something must be wrong, then.

7. EdwardCTV macrumors newbie

I'm sorry I spoke to soon it does work in camera and mail etc but it doesn't work on the main menu right? Also if ur using the phone vertically and typing in the keyboard n decide u want to start typing horizontally it won't tilt until u cancel out of the keyboard screen first right

8. jclardy macrumors 68030

jclardy

Hmm, on mine I can rotate after the keyboard is already showing. At least on Notes and Mail. Other third party apps would have to implement this on their own.