Sidebar favourite won't delete

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by playethic, Dec 21, 2013.

1. playethic macrumors member

I have a file in my vertical sidebar under Favourites that won't delete when I try to drag it out of the sidebar or into the trash. It's not a favourite even, it must have been a year since I accessed it. I tried to go into Sidebar in the preferences, but there the item doesn't appear so I can't delete it there either. How to get rid of it?

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Try holding down the Command key as you drag it off and onto the Desktop.

3. playethic thread starter macrumors member

Still refuses to leave

Hi
    I tried it, but holding command key while dragging the sidebar item onto the desktop does not result in the item deleting from the sidebar.
    Other ideas?
    Lisa

4. Gregg2 macrumors 603

In your User folder, also known as the Home folder (the one with the little white cottage logo - I don't know what you called it, but you do)... open the Library folder, then Preferences. You have to be in your User or Home folder; there are other Library folders.

Once in Preferences, look for this file: com.apple.sidebarlists.plist and drag it onto the Desktop. Now restart the computer. If this item is still on the Sidebar, try the command and drag maneuver again.

NOTE: If you do this and it doesn't work, you can put that file back and restart again. This will restore other things you added to the Sidebar and want to keep. When it asks if you want to overwrite, say yes. But then, you'll still have the same problem in search of a solution. Otherwise, you'll have to re-customize your Sidebar, which you'll have to do if it does work.