Sidebar Icons revert to Generic???

Discussion in 'macOS' started by lbeck, Oct 11, 2010.

1. lbeck macrumors 6502

lbeck

Whenever I restart my system my sidebar icons revert to a generic white icon. Not all of them do it, and its not always the same ones. They flip flop for no reason. One time my picture icon will be generic, the next time I restart my picture icon is fine but my music icon is generic.

Anyone know why this happens? It never happened on my previous machines running the same version of OSX. 10.6.4

I used candybar to replace icons and its never been a problem in the past. I've even manually replaced the icons in finder and it still happens.

The icons in question are on my second drive, not my boot drive. Does that have something to do with it? Sometimes if I just click on the generic icon the correct icon will show up, sometimes it wont.

Very minor problem but also very frustrating. Any help?

2. lbeck thread starter macrumors 6502

lbeck

3. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Well, I saw "Candybar" and went no further. You can search for these "icons gone haywire" threads here and find dozens of them. They all have a common theme. OTOH, I've never seen a post about icons going nuts and the user claiming to have never changed any of them, whether with Candybar or not. But, maybe you can glean some useful information from the many existing threads on the subject. Have fun!

4. lbeck thread starter macrumors 6502

lbeck

I did search and found nothing pertaining to my specific issue. And considering I've used Candybar for years with no issues, including my previous mac running 10.6.4 I dont think thats the problem. Also, I mentioned that I manually changed the icons myself, removing candybar from the equation. The issue was still there.

The icons that have the issues are from folders I created on my second hard drive. I dragged them into the sidebar for quick access, I've done the same thing for years with no issues.

Thinking its an OSX bug ...

5. Gregg2 macrumors 603

I think one of those ^ is the problem, not the OS. You've had it for years too. There goes that line of reasoning. When things fail, it's often suddenly, with no warning. I was saying that, having not done either of the above, you don't run into those problems. I hope you find the solution. :)

You could try dumping the Finder's plist file, but I don't know for sure if that will address your issue.

6. lbeck thread starter macrumors 6502

lbeck

Some more digging online revealed it probably is an issue with Snow Leopard.
    http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-10422620-263.html

Hopefully the fixes they mention will fix it for me.

EDIT: I used Onyx to remove all my preference/temp files are logs. I shut the computer down and restarted and all my sidebar icons are correct. I hope it stays that way.