Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danielchef

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2010
Total noob here with a security concern. Without my having performed any processes such as reformats or archive and formats, my computer is showing in the sidebar as the fourth version of itself. Have I been hacked or is this something normal that I simply can't suss out because of lack of knowledge and experience?

I hope it's something simple; thank you for your help.

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
Was there every another MacBook Pro on the same network with the same name and no number or 1/2/3?

Just go into Sharing and change it

danielchef

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2010
Thank you; just being paranoid. I don't believe that there ever was another MacBook Pro on the network with the same name and no number 1/2/3, but we just went through a switchover from cable broadband and a wireless router to DSL with an integrated router. Could the setup process (which was challenging at times) have played a role in this?

I guess I was concerned because the change occurred without my noticing it.

jasonhallceltic

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2010
i have exactly the same problem mate! never had any other macbooks on my network. any other people know why this would be and how to resolve it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.