Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
Sidecar disconnects every minute to 10 minutes. Really frustrating. I don’t see any solutions other than to connect via USB-C, which is not a fix. Does anyone else use sidecar without these issues? What can be done? My iPad is 3 inches from my MBP when I’m using them.

Slartibart

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2020
Try:
  1. Go to Settings > Privacy & Security (or Privacy) > Location Services.
  2. Turn on Location Services (if not already ON)
  3. Scroll to the bottom of the list, then tap System Services.
  4. Turn OFF Networking & Wireless (or Wi-Fi Networking).
From here on the Wifi connection should be stable.

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
Try:
Can you explain how setting would impact the sidecar setting? What are the drawbacks off turning this off?

Reactions: NARadyk

Slartibart

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2020
Here is some general information about location services. How individual apps in their functionality are affected by turning these off, depends on the app.

For the moment - iPadOS 16.1 - there are a few problems caused by the location services affecting Wifi connections in some scenarios (Macbooks, routers, printers; to be clear, there are other sources for Wifi-related problems like e.g. private relay affecting router Wifi connectivity).

If you want to see what’s exactly happening when you use SideCar between iPP and MBP I suggest monitoring the connection using e.g. Wireshark.

Just anectdotically: I encountered periodical Wifi drops and reconnects after updating different iPPs to iPadOS 16.1 and traced some down inspecting packages sent. In my case the location services sends a huge amount of unsolicited packages, which in the end let the “peer” e.g. a router or MBP reset the connection. And if “auto connect” is turned on in iPadOS for Wifi-connections, the iPad reconnects, establishes a connection, packages are sent, the peer resets the connection at some point, and so on… periodical fun! :)

Last edited:

abgtfh

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2013
Try:
That unfortunately did not make the problem go away or improve in any way

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
That unfortunately did not make the problem go away or improve in any way
Same. However, for whatever reason (even after leaving that setting on), I'm no longer having the issue anymore. At least in the last week or so I have no disconnections.

Oggy

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2010
Same. However, for whatever reason (even after leaving that setting on), I'm no longer having the issue anymore. At least in the last week or so I have no disconnections.
This helped me. I turned ON Location services and inside it turned ON Networking & Wireless. Both for MacBook and iPad (7th gen) and now the connection is stable.

Reactions: hendra1
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.