Sidecar in macOS Catalina Brings Touch Bar Controls to Non-Touch Bar Mac Users

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 5, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

In macOS Catalina, it seems whether or not you own a MacBook with a Touch Bar, Apple still wants you to be able to access those virtual controls, even if that means putting them right on the screen.

[​IMG]
    Image credit: Reddit user dotmax

Apple's new Sidecar app lets you connect an iPad to your Mac for extra screen space. It works both wired and wirelessly, and supports the Apple Pencil as an input device for the Mac.

And for Mac apps with Touch Bar support, the controls appear at the bottom of your iPad screen -- even if your Mac doesn't have a Touch Bar.

In other words, the iPad Touch Bar mirrors the MacBook Pro's Touch Bar on a model with a Touch Bar, and when used with a MacBook Pro that doesn't have a Touch Bar, it lets you tap into functionality that would otherwise be unavailable.

The implementation will be familiar to users of Duet Display, which was first to offer Touch Bar support on a connected tablet's screen.

Since its introduction, the Touch Bar has divided users - some find the functionality useful, while others prefer their MacBook Pro to have a full set of physical function keys instead.

The Sidecar app is compatible with Late 2015 27" iMac or newer, 2017 iMac Pro, Mid 2016 MacBook Pro or newer, Late 2018 Mac mini or newer, Late 2018 MacBook Air or newer, Early 2016 MacBook or newer, and 2019 Mac Pro.

Article Link: Sidecar in macOS Catalina Brings Touch Bar Controls to Non-Touch Bar Mac Users

2. basher macrumors 6502

basher

3. oldmacs macrumors 601

oldmacs

Exciting but frustrating that its limited to 2015 and newer Macs :/

4. CLS727 macrumors regular

CLS727

Nice.... but sucks for the Duet Display people..... talk about getting your business gutted....

5. mariusignorello macrumors 68000

Is there a way to enable it on older Macs like they do with Handoff?

6. Mascots macrumors 68000

Mascots

7. BF1M macrumors newbie

8. SnarkyBear macrumors regular

SnarkyBear

I wonder which iPads it will work with. Will my old first gen iPad mini finally have a new life as a side screen for my iMac??

9. TMRJIJ macrumors 68040

TMRJIJ

We’re discussing this in a thread. It’s not 100% yet though.

10. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

Apple really knocked it out of the park this time.

11. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Is that a frame captured from a video, or is the quality really that bad? :eek:

12. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

Man just bought Duet on Friday. Well I guess it will get used until October!

13. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I recently bought Duet as well. At least I got it on sale.

14. jonblatho macrumors 6502a

jonblatho

It's because it was run on a Mac that does not support hardware HEVC encoding. Macs that do have hardware support for HEVC produce a much better picture.

15. Wonder Warthog macrumors member

Wonder Warthog

AstroPad is also screwed big time. They have a similar feature and it works super smooth.

16. techguy9 macrumors 6502

techguy9

17. raccoontail macrumors regular

The touchbar is obnoxious for users, who would prefer an actual touch screen and physical function keys, and for developers who have better things to do than support the touchbar for the small percentage of users who have them. At the very least apple should make real function keys an option on all configs of the MacBook Pro, not just the wimpy one with inadequate cooling and slower WiFi.

18. .max macrumors member

.max

I was surprised that my screenshot was used to illustrate the Touch Bar and not the older hardware support. It’s so bad because it’s from unsupported Mac.

19. pducharme macrumors member

That explain why I wasn't able to see how to use this! :( I have a late-2013 rMBP 13in.

20. Mizouse macrumors regular

Ugh really? Won’t work with my 2012 2.3ghz 4C i7 Mac Mini but it’ll work with a 2014 Mac mini? :mad::mad:

21. chekie macrumors member

I believe your iPad will need to run iPadOS

22. - rob - macrumors 6502

- rob -

This is a wild guess but I can actually see this being Apple’s “soft landing” for the Touchbar apps. If it is going to get discontinued, Apple can say: “well, these are still useful they just live in sidecar now.

However, I suspect if this becomes the case it will end up only marginally supported and eventually die completely.

23. aaronhead14 macrumors 6502a

aaronhead14

This is a better implementation of Touch Bar than the actual Touch Bar on MacBooks. Lol.

24. venom600 macrumors 6502a

They weren't the first to get sherocked and they won't be the last.

25. mariusignorello macrumors 68000